Charged for refusing...

Basically, if an ambulance comes and you refuse transport, they want to bill you.

How many of you have had patients who just wanted to be checked out and you were glad they did, you honestly did not mind and you said to them, "this is what we are here for, we rather you call and be examined than sit here and get worse"? I have said it many times and it is not false sentiment. Some of these very patients have turned out to be very sick indeed.

How many of these "maybe I should call and get checked out" patients will now fear they are wrong and worry about a potential charge and NOT make the call?

Even if it is determined that they do not need to go to the ER with me, should they be charged for it?

http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman2/publish/article_39113.shtml

Refuse ambulance ride and you'll get charged - Georgia

The Bryan County Board of Commissioners approved charging a $75 response fee to patients who refuse ambulance transport.

I don't mind going out to a call and evaluating a patient only to find out they don't need the care. But let's face it, we provide a service, and this service is not free. We need to get paid to make a living. If you are called to someones house or whatever, and they refuse transport, that's fine. But did you assess the patient? If so, then you did provide care, and you will be billed for it. If you do no assess the patient, how can you be SURE they don't need care?

I am not sure if I agree with the billing for non transported patients or not. People use 911 as a taxi service as it is, and now they want free medical advice too. Charge them, and maybe they will stop calling 911 for stupid crap. In contrary, what about the elderly patients, or young kids who have a complaint that turns out to be nothing?

Friend of mine works for a security system company that mainly services larger companies and hospitals. If they are called out for a service call, that is an AUTOMATIC TWO HOUR CHARGE, from the time the call is placed/service order put in. A charge of something like $200/hr or something. A lot of the time, the problem they are called out for it nothing, and the system just needs to be reset, which could be done by any keyholder or even security guard. Should they do these service calls for free? What makes them different than us?

AK search is your friend my friend. Already a discussion on the automatic news we get here.

Damn it!! I used to be the auto search feature...damn robot beats me to the punch all the time now...

Thanks...