"Gas 'em to life?"

P_Instructor

They arent the only ones going WHAT!!! Thanks P for sharing that makes one think. Wonder who they are going to get to do human test on?

What's another gas in the toolbox of RT...

I have heard rumblings about this from UCSF but it is still a long way off from a definitive trial in humans.

But, we still have O2, CO2, Nitrogen, Nitric Oxide, HeliOx and a few others to use in the mean time and that doesn't include the ones from the OR that occasionally find their way to the ICU. Some of these gases haven't been around that long either like Nitric Oxide and was controversial. Some hospitals are still afraid to try it. Others don't leave home without it on transport.

I also will remind those in EMS not to take it for granted that the tank the home care patient is running is oxygen. You might be surporised.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 1

I also will remind those in EMS not to take it for granted that the tank the home care patient is running is oxygen. You might be surporised.

I'm going only worry if this dude steps into the truck with his tank we when roll up

nocountry1.jpg

Call it ... friendo

Edited by kiwimedic

• 4 weeks later...

On a more serious note:

Hydrogen sulfide (H2S), a gas with the characteristic odor of rotten eggs, is known for its toxicity and as an environmental hazard, inhibition of mitochondrial respiration resulting from blockade of cytochrome c oxidase being the main toxic mechanism. Recently, however, H2S has been recognized as a signaling molecule of the cardiovascular, inflammatory and nervous systems, and therefore, alongside nitric oxide and carbon monoxide, is referred to as the third endogenous gaseous transmitter. Inhalation of gaseous H2S as well as administration of inhibitors of its endogenous production and compounds that donate H2S have been studied in various models of shock. Based on the concept that multiorgan failure secondary to shock, inflammation and sepsis may represent an adaptive hypometabolic response to preserve ATP homoeostasis, particular interest has focused on the induction of a hibernation-like suspended animation with H2S. It must be underscored that currently only a limited number of data are available from clinically relevant large animal models. Moreover, several crucial issues warrant further investigation before the clinical application of this concept. First, the impact of hypothermia for any H2S-related organ protection remains a matter of debate. Second, similar to the friend and foe character of nitric oxide, no definitive conclusions can be made as to whether H2S exerts proinflammatory or anti-inflammatory properties. Finally, in addition to the question of dosing and timing (for example, bolus administration versus continuous intravenous infusion), the preferred route of H2S administration remains to be settled--that is, inhaling gaseous H2S versus intra-venous administration of injectable H2S preparations or H2S donors. To date, therefore, while H2S-induced suspended animation in humans may still be referred to as science fiction, there is ample promising preclinical data that this approach is a fascinating new therapeutic perspective for the management of shock states that merits further investigation

Wagner F, Asfar P, Calzia E, Radermacher P & Szabo C. Bench-to-bedside review: Hydrogen sulfide--the third gaseous transmitter: applications for critical care. Critical Care. 13(3):213; 2009.

There's also a much more accurate article of similar type to the CNN article in Nature Biotechnology: "Schmidt C. Mark Roth. Nat Biotech. 2009;27(1):13-", which I would be happy to email to anyone interested in hearing more about the story.

Interesting concept for 'not killing' but 'killing' certain diseases.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/09/cheating.death.suspended.animation/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I bet all you RT's are going.......WHAT?????

Ever hear of perfluorocarbon, try ventilating with a liquid high or low meniscus research studies or rebreathing CO2.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/335/11/761

Google this: cyclopropanes related fatalities in operating rooms.

Hydrogen sulfide (H2S), a gas with the characteristic odor of rotten eggs, is known for its toxicity and as an environmental hazard,

Nitric Oxide also has the potential to produce nitrogen dioxide (N02) and we do monitor its level closely even though the INOvent should minimize N02 formation.

having done the H2S Tech course in Kazakhstan some years ago due to the high concentration of H2S in the wells they were drilling, I for one would be watching this topic closely. The course scared the s*%t out of me in regards to H2S. My main concern here would be seeing how they plan to ensure lethal limits are not exceeded and the person administering it does not end up just killing the patient.

In my personal and humble opinion, I do not see this happening within my life time. The risks would be to high on this as well as the actual control of it. I would most probably refuse the use of this had I had a choice.

Thank you for the link to this, it made for seriously interesting reading.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.