How Long Is Your Orientation Period For.......

Hey doc, guess i missed your comments back when you made them originally, but I am not sure what you are referencing. I just asked a simple question regarding how long orientation is for most services ? I imagine it varies from one end of the spectrum to the other. I made no dire comments about the end of the earth, being blind, or why you should feel guilty. But being a "Doc", i assume you are familiar with the fact that JCAHO makes most hospitals prove (well, not prove, but create paperwork) that their staffs are competent, including part-time and contract employees. This is usually done through orientation check-lists and an annual credentialing process. I wonder how many EMS services could provide documentation regarding employee competence ? Or prove that any new employee is ready to start an IO or could pace a patient without hesitation ?

I wonder how many EMS services could provide documentation regarding employee competence ? Or prove that any new employee is ready to start an IO or could pace a patient without hesitation ?

There has always in some form or another been a skills re-cert program here but it's been quite hit-and-miss and rather patchy depending on various factors. In recent times however the process has been cleaned up and tightened down a bit, which is quite pleasing to see.

Beginning late last year a new program was introduced to require 40 hours of continuing clinical education and a re-cert every two years. This is basically one or two shifts where somebody (most likely a Clinical Standards Officer) will come and ride with you and verify you know your stuff.

Clinical re-val is quite seperate to "employee development" or whatever flash sounding name has been given to it now. There is a process that every six months you are supposed to meet with your Manager and work out goals and areas for improvement etc however how well this is implemented remains to be seen. I don't think a lot of people really care about it to be honest.

With looming registration under the Health Practitioners Competency Assurance Act the onus will shift from the employer to a Council under the Act and basically mandate that the mirrored employer guidelines are setting up now. This means you will have to go to the "Paramedics Council" and prove you have met your CCE and re-val requirements to get a new license for the year.

This is currently present in the UK with the HPC for Paramedics (ALS) level practictioners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.