Texting While Driving Emergency Vehicle

Texting While Driving  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you text while driving your emergency vehicle

• I do it all the time, I am good at it, there is no danger
    • I probably text about half the time I am driving
    • I rarely text while driving an emergency vehicle
    • I never read or respond to text messages while driving, I wait until I am not driving

The driver should usually let the partner deal with the radio... in the event that your partner is busy, then obviously you'll have to answer it.

The main difference between a cell phone conversation and radio communications is that 9 out of 10 times, the radio communication will be short sweet and straight to the point.

The cell phone conversation can be anything from talking about what's for dinner, to who wore what at the Oscars; and anything and everything in between.

Yep- radio traffic is generally very terse, as it should be. A quick acknowledgment on the air should not be a problem or too much of a distraction.

Cell Phone versus using radio, whats the difference:

If you are driving an emergency vehicle, you should rarely have to talk on the radio:

1. Your partner can talk while enroute to the call.

2. You can call onscene after the vehicle has stopped.

3. You can call enroute to hospital or 10-8 before you put the vehicle in gear.

4. You can call out at facility after you have stopped.

5. You can call 10-8 before you put the vehicle in gear.

If you absolutely have to talk enroute to the hospital, keying the mic does not require your eyes to leave the road -- texting does require your eyes to leave the road. Anyone who texts while driving an emergency vehicle should have their license (medic and driver's) pulled. If you have no more regard for human life or the maturity to realize the stupid (unneeded) risk that you are taking, then you do not belong in an emergency vehicle.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986
  • Like 1

The duplex and simplex systems in regards to driver concentration and comprehension is markedly different, a perfect example would be flying aircraft .... would anyone want a pilot on final chatting with his wife ?

I think I read a newspaper article, just this week, that a lot of small airplane crashes had the pilot(s) "chit-chatting" in the cockpit, instead of concentrating on things directly related to taking off or landing. There is to be no "chit-chat" in cockpits below a specified altitude, per an order just issued by the FAA, if I understand correctly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.