I got into EMT program! Need some advice

So I have a funky kidney-bean shaped scar on my arm for nothin'?

Are you American born? Most people your age wouldn't have received the Smallpox vaccine as a child. I received it, and even I don't have a scar from it.

Florida- first, the only way to be 100% safe from diseases is invest in a full body wrap of plastic...

Just kidding.

Good advice from all, and best of luck in your new career! I'd reiterate the back precautions. Make sure you do core work- strong abdominals are VITAL to keep your back healthy. Good body mechanics, good nutrition, as well as keeping fit are also important- we tend to forget those things after we've been in this business for awhile.

Are you American born? Most people your age wouldn't have received the Smallpox vaccine as a child. I received it, and even I don't have a scar from it.

Yes, I was born in New York. I'm in my mid-40s. Maybe I had a worse reaction than usual to the vaccine?

Florida- first, the only way to be 100% safe from diseases is invest in a full body wrap of plastic...

Just kidding.

Good advice from all, and best of luck in your new career! I'd reiterate the back precautions. Make sure you do core work- strong abdominals are VITAL to keep your back healthy. Good body mechanics, good nutrition, as well as keeping fit are also important- we tend to forget those things after we've been in this business for awhile.

Yep, I was thinking that. Would it be bad to show up on my first day in a haz-mat suit? "Excuse me, you expect me to touch patients with nothing but gloves on? Ewwwww, cooties!!"

• 4 weeks later...

Before the start of my EMT-B course I had to get the following:

- DTap

- Hepatitis B

- MMR

- Varicella

- TB Test

:)

• Like 1

First of all, congrats!

Talk to your school about what vaccinations you will need for the course. Some programs dont require any, some will require everything under the sun. Of course its always better to be safe than sorry.

As others have stated, strengthen your core as much as you can. And since you will be lifting with your legs quite a bit, work on your squats and lunges.

The most important advice i can give about taking an EMT-B course is to always volunteer to be part of the in-class activities. Practice makes perfect. There will be plenty of people who are too embarassed/scared to get up in front of the class and try the scenarios, and those people arent getting the most out of the class. Nobody picks this stuff up on their first try, so dont be afraid to mess up, we all did.

• Like 1

Not true..... Here is a short video about the hazards of covering ones face in plastic: