I got into EMT program! Need some advice

woot woot! I'm in! I was accepted into next semester's EMT program at my community college! (Pending my criminal background check, but I'm pretty sure I haven't committed any major felonies and then forgotten about it. Fairly sure. College was kind of a blur...)

So, couple of questions - 1.) Since I'm doing clinicals and ridealongs, what shots/immunizations should I get as a precaution?

2.) How do you all make sure you don't wreck your backs? I'm headed over to the gym today to start working out again and when I'm there I'm going to ask the trainers for some good back strengthening exercises.

3.) Any other advice?

So, couple of questions - 1.) Since I'm doing clinicals and ridealongs, what shots/immunizations should I get as a precaution?

The school's allied health or nursing department should have a list of recommendations and places that are inexpensive to receive them. Depending on when you got your other degree, your MMR may already be up to date. Hep B may be on the recommended list. Keep your tetanus updated. I also have my titers checked which is when I found my immunity from having chicken pox as a kid no longer appeared as it had over several other checks over the past 30 years. Thus, I got the varicella vaccine since I work with kids.

• Like 1

woot woot! I'm in! I was accepted into next semester's EMT program at my community college! (Pending my criminal background check, but I'm pretty sure I haven't committed any major felonies and then forgotten about it. Fairly sure. College was kind of a blur...)

2.) How do you all make sure you don't wreck your backs? I'm headed over to the gym today to start working out again and when I'm there I'm going to ask the trainers for some good back strengthening exercises.

3.) Any other advice?

Strengthening your back is great, but if you are lifting correctly... you don't use it much. Focus on lower extremity strength, core strength, and shoulders. One of the fastest growing injuries in EMS, shoulder injuries.

• Like 1

The school's allied health or nursing department should have a list of recommendations and places that are inexpensive to receive them. Depending on when you got your other degree, your MMR may already be up to date. Hep B may be on the recommended list. Keep your tetanus updated. I also have my titers checked which is when I found my immunity from having chicken pox as a kid no longer appeared as it had over several other checks over the past 30 years. Thus, I got the varicella vaccine since I work with kids.

I got my other degree in the 1980s (when I was, er, 10. Yeah, 10, that's the ticket.) Good tip about getting titers checked. I'm sure all of my past immunizations have long since lost their effectiveness.

If you end up getting a Hep B vaccine, ask about the Twinrix vaccine. It's a little more expensive per shot, but it's a combined Hep A/Hep B vaccine that requires the same number of shots (3) as the individual vaccines.

Actually titers will show if your are immune to things such as chickenpox and mumps. A good titer now means you have a lifetime immunity. However, there are instances that you may need a booster. Have an up to date tetanus (within 5 yrs) and Hep B series. There is now a Hep A immunization now as well. Get a flu shot and if possible get a pneumonia shot which is good for 5 yrs.

Practice good hand washing techniques ie: wash your hands after every patient and wear gloves. This protects your patient but you as well. The college nurse should have a breakdown of what you need. You may also need a TB test.

Congrats on getting into the program!! :thumbsup:

I also have my titers checked which is when I found my immunity from having chicken pox as a kid no longer appeared as it had over several other checks over the past 30 years. Thus, I got the varicella vaccine since I work with kids.

Good point. Working paediatrics is especially risky because of all the unique things they tend to carry. The worst pain I've ever had in my life (and there's been a lot!) was from a simple case of Fifth Disease caught from a pedi patient. Kids never even know they have it, but adults will never forget it when they have it!

Even if your varicella titer is good, it may well be a good idea to still get the new Zostavax. Shingles is even worse than Fifth Disease in many cases, and much more common in adults. It tends to creep up during times of stress in life, which would include returning to school and changing careers mid-life. Ask your doctor.

The best way to protect your back is to let the firemonkeys do all the lifting. Let them earn the big bucks.

• Like 1

Actually titers will show if your are immune to things such as chickenpox and mumps. A good titer now means you have a lifetime immunity. However, there are instances that you may need a booster.

Lifetime immunity? No.

The varicella (chicken pox) is an example. Those of us who had the disease as a child and then had high titers for many years may find our titers are barely detectable later. The same is being said of mumps which is why the MMR is given together and not separately more often than not.

Smallpox is another example as those of use who got vaccinated prior to 1972 were told we had "lifetime" immunity but then were told differently in 2003 when Pres. Bush wanted everyone to get the smallpox vaccine. Our immunity has probably expired.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 1

Lifetime immunity? No.

The varicella (chicken pox) is an example. Those of us who had the disease as a child and then had high titers for many years may find our titers are barely detectable later. The same is being said of mumps which is why the MMR is given together and not separately more often than not.

Smallpox is another example as those of use who got vaccinated prior to 1972 were told we had "lifetime" immunity but then were told differently in 2003 when Pres. Bush wanted everyone to get the smallpox vaccine. Our immunity has probably expired.

So I have a funky kidney-bean shaped scar on my arm for nothin'?

Well, I have till January before the program starts and actually we don't do clinicals for the first month anyway, so just as a precaution I'll get updated with all of the shots mentioned here and I'll get a TB test.