Is a Patient aloud to refuse treatment or offer of Transport?

EMT Fan15

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, i was wondering if Patients are aloud to refuse the Transport to the hospital in any situation?

Generally if they are of sound mental state and are not a danger to themselves or others they are allowed to refuse. You can't force someone to go unless they have an altered mental status or are a danger to themselves or others. If they are deemed to have an altered mental status (head trauma, low/high blood sugar, alcohol/drugs, and numerous other causes) and Harm to self (suicidal/depressed) and others (homicidal/violent) then we usually have to involve the police department, medical control, or other resources depending on the local protocol.

The other exception to this is minors with no parent or guardian present. If the patient is a minor and there is no guardian present to refuse for the patient, usually we must transport. If they are emancipated or otherwise legally independent then that is treated the same as an adult patient. No parents though means the kids gotta go to the ER under implied consent. That is assuming the parents are there they would want them to be evaluated by a doctor in the emergency department.

As always though, local protocol and operating procedures take precedence.

As Katie said, if they're of 'sound mind' and are legally able to make those informed decisions. If they're stoned or drunk, obviously they're not in full grasp of their faculties, and are not 'of sound mind'.

In GA however, a female child MAY be considered 'emacipated' until she gives birth, then she's not 'emancipated' (if she's not got the legal documents to prove emancipation.) She IS however, allowed to make decisions regarding her child.

Katie also raised another 'good point', and that is check with your local protocols and see whats said there. That will ultimately be your 'guide'.

remember where is kiwimedic ?

in other civilised countries, mbulance staff are empowered to make transport decisions, rather than transport decisions being forced because of regressive system management and billing considerations

I am not quite sure where I am ... :lol:

You are right Zippy I should have clarified: here (NZ) it is possible for the crew to refuse to transport the patient; if the problem is minor or if tarnsport is not in the best interest of the patient then we'll recommend for them not to come to hospital and check in with their PCP/GP or w/e as approprite.

Having that said; different funding streams here do create a perverse incentive to transport trauma patients to get money and close the budget gap.

Okay, thank you guys.

I'm 15, and wish I had my own cards, and insurance cards, so I did have the choice to refuse transport though. Gotta figure out how to get it..

actually, did you really have the right to refuse transport?

I'm thinking that there is more to this question and post than meets the eye.

As a minor, you really don't have the right to refuse transport but you do have the right to refuse treatment.

Your parents are really the only ones who can say no to transport, they are your parents/guardians and what they say goes.

But you do have the right to refuse treatment such as IV's and Medications. Parents can overrule that but I'd be hard pressed to force an IV or a medication on someone of any age. Caveat here - if it's a infant or toddler they can't really make a informed decision on medicatoins or IV's but someone 15 would have a huge part in saying what kind of treatment they receive.

So what's the real background on this question? Did you get transported to the hospital when you didn't want to?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.