Questions on sleep and lifting

danderson900

You may have a much bigger issue to face being an ex-engineer. I had hired 3 employees that were former engineers who had retired early, and then wanted a totally different second career experience. After dealing with today's children that work in EMS, I thought it would be nice to have older, professional, adult employees in my workforce (employees that come to work on time, and dont call out 8 times per year) All four had trouble in EMS, as they could not deal with all the "gray areas" of EMS. They were all used to a rigid black/white or 2 + 2 always equals 4 type of workplace. Not saying you will have that issue, but it is something to consider. I dont think any of the three are still in EMS.

Interesting observation, Crotch. That does sound logical. The best medics I've ever worked with had psychology or philosophy backgrounds, and that makes sense if you think about it. Much of this job is about abstract reasoning and judgement calls in that so-called "grey area". If one is too rigid in their disposition, and cannot colour outside the lines, their professional progress is going to be retarded by that shortcoming. Although, we certainly cannot pigeonhole all engineers either. Depending upon their field of expertise and experience, they are also often known to be accomplished problem solvers, operating algebraically, solving for X without constraint. Ideally, a medic would have the best of both traits: the ability to comfortably operate within structure, as well as the ability to think outside of the box and make intelligent judgement calls without constraint or supervision. If a candidate has those abilities, I don't care if he has an MS in engineering or a GED. He's likely to be successful in EMS.

Cosgrojo you are welcome to dispute my opinion but to be a rude jerk like you have complained of others being is uncalled for.

Spenac - I stand by what I said... but stand rebuked for the attitude. I am at the tail end a 40 hour hell-grind shift, and have been a little testy during it. Not an excuse... just an explaination. Even I can admit when I have strayed from common decency... but you have to admit... it was well written... :rolleyes:

Allow a humble Englishman like myself to offer you words of wisdom and encouragement.

Your age and weak back need not be a worry or problem for you to become a Paramedic.

After hours of toil during the twilight hours, blessed slumber will consume your body upon placing into bed.

Despite being elderly and grossely unfit and possibly obese ? I feel the physical demands upon lifting over weight Americans will whip you into a fine physicaly fit adonis. On the plus side matey boy when you are fit and strong just imagine all the nurses you will be able to pull.

A whole new world of sexual adventures await you my lucky American chum !

You may have a much bigger issue to face being an ex-engineer. I had hired 3 employees that were former engineers who had retired early, and then wanted a totally different second career experience. After dealing with today's children that work in EMS, I thought it would be nice to have older, professional, adult employees in my workforce (employees that come to work on time, and dont call out 8 times per year) All four had trouble in EMS, as they could not deal with all the "gray areas" of EMS. They were all used to a rigid black/white or 2 + 2 always equals 4 type of workplace. Not saying you will have that issue, but it is something to consider. I dont think any of the three are still in EMS.

Very interesting take. I agree with your assessment about folks who want black and white answers not necessarily being right for this profession. I guess you never really know how an employee will fare in this business. Sometimes you make the right call, sometimes not. I think I related this story before but it bears repeating.

When I was in management, I remember getting an application from a guy who had served time in prison for robbery. He had all the right credentials, glowing references, went to a good EMT school, etc, and I put his application aside for further consideration. Meantime, the guy called to follow up with me- did I get the application, is it complete, did I need anything else from him, etc? I even received a call from one of his references who was very supportive of this guy. I liked his persistence, professionalism, and diligence and I decided to bring him in for an interview. He was up front about his prison time, I expressed my concerns about it and he understood. The interview went very well. I went to the owner of the company, and to make a long story short, we fought for several weeks before I was finally allowed to hire him. Turned out he was one of the best employees I could have ever asked for. I gloated on a regular basis to my boss about my "wisdom" in pushing for the guy. LOL

I think the interview process makes a big difference too- you also need to have a 6th sense about people to gauge their personality, their motivation, and any potential pitfalls you may see. Sometimes you are right, sometimes you are dead wrong, but you would hope that before someone invests the time, money, and effort into a career- especially a new one- they fully check out what they are getting into, and if it's a good fit for them. As we all know, that does not always happen and many people wash out very early on in their careers.

is night work the only shift available? are you looking into 9 1 1 jobs or transporting? i can only speak on the transporting, private company. where the night shift doesn't effect you , well me personally. if you are worried about the night shift maybe look into private companies where most shifts are 0500-1700.and yes always lift with your legs and arms. ive seen a lot of ppl use their back when lifting and then complain of back pain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.