Patients religion

mshow00

Interesting story. There is a small town near me that is almost entirely inhabited by Seventh Day Adventists, and is the home of a Seventh Day Adventist University. In the mid 1980s, the mayor happened to see the fire chief at the fire station trying to fix a broke down fire truck on a Saturday. A special meeting was called the next day to fire the fire chief, and they did. Unanimously. Adventists don't play!

Which is crazy since most religions basically have an 'out' for medical/emergency reasons. I'd say that fixing broken down emergency vehicles would qualify unless there's a backup vehicle. Of course religion shouldn't be the basis of government at any level.

The EMS District where I am a volly has a good sized Old Order Amish population. It is very interesting to see the value of human life when a trauma patients parents refuse to fly their child to a trauma center due to how much the helicopter costs. I do not know if it is against their religion but the only reason I have heard used is the cost. Only one time in the last 7 years have I ever put an Amish patient on a heicopter. Normally we take them to our closest hospital and they are taken by ground to the trauma center. Over an hour transport running lights and siren.

The EMS District where I am a volly has a good sized Old Order Amish population. It is very interesting to see the value of human life when a trauma patients parents refuse to fly their child to a trauma center due to how much the helicopter costs. I do not know if it is against their religion but the only reason I have heard used is the cost. Only one time in the last 7 years have I ever put an Amish patient on a helicopter. Normally we take them to our closest hospital and they are taken by ground to the trauma center. Over an hour transport running lights and siren.

With all the problems with flight as of late and even the questioning of the value of the time saved they may be smarter than the rest of us.

With any religion as someone else said never assume that the person feels the same as others of that religion. Still respectfully explain what you feel needs done and let them say no if they feel they for religious or other reasons do not want said treatment. Do not lie to them and do not force your opinion.

With all the problems with flight as of late and even the questioning of the value of the time saved they may be smarter than the rest of us.

With any religion as someone else said never assume that the person feels the same as others of that religion. Still respectfully explain what you feel needs done and let them say no if they feel they for religious or other reasons do not want said treatment. Do not lie to them and do not force your opinion.

Yup I agree, and further my point to involve more people if you can such as supervisors, medical director, whomever. Heat is less on you should something go south as a result of the patient not accepting your care even if they're a/o x4 and GCS 15.

• Like 2

We can't make ourselves the all knowing of every culture we will run into. Most people should understand that, and in an emergency situation should take exception to any mis-steps we might make. A conscious alert person, has the right to deny any treatment for themselves that they don't want, I think we all understand that and know the legalities. If you are respectful of your patient like you should be, and their health, then their cultural concerns will work themselves out. Don't assume things and make an ass of yourself. If you have a question, ask your patient, remember, you are there for them, and don't ever allow a preconceived notion interfere with your treatment plan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.