EMS Honor Guard

Lcfiremedic

It takes a lot of time and committment.

Sure does ... once you learn it, it's like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it. Regular practice is required to maintain group uniformity and to 'brush up' a little ... never hurts

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 2

We are starting an Honor Guard at my service, and I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of things we need to do and any other information would be greatly appericated.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

Our Honor Guard is about 6 years old. To get started, there are several things you want to consider:

1) Make sure you have department approval and that your administrative personnel (Chief, etc) understand what an Honor Guard does and it's purpose.

2) Be distinctive in your uniform, but not to flashy. We use a dress coat with our squad patch that was modified to reflect the Honor Guard, police style hat with badge (also reflective of Honor Guard) dark blue pants, white web belt and white gloves. We also have a blue rope/shoulder thing (sorry I can't remember the proper term at this writing) that goes around our left shoulder. Try to avoid pantswith stripes until you become more proficant in marching. The stripe highlights when you are out of step.

3) Most important- find someone with military experience in Drill/Ceremony and PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

4) Find a local "Honor Guard Acadamey" (there are several around the country) and attend. This whips you into shape for what a Guard should do.

5) Attend events and watch other guard and pick up tips from them. Most Guard personnel are very willing to help other Guard.

6) Remember this: When attending or assisting at an event, the montra is "whatever it takes to get it done". Being in an Honor Guard has NO place for attitude.

7) be prepared to stand for long periods.

8) ALWAYS be willing to jump in and help out to do whatever needs to be done. There are NO "lowly" jobs.

9) because it is important---DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET IT DONE

10) Other than the Commander of your group--normal rank and file should not matter.

We also have a blue rope/shoulder thing (sorry I can't remember the proper term at this writing) that goes around our left shoulder.
Raffmedic106

Braided Shoulder Cord in contrasting color to uniform, worn over right shoulder (optional)
Richard B the EMT (asked, and answered, although we seem to have a disagreement as to which shoulder it is to be worn on. Military folks to settle for us, please?)