Shopping Sucks

Kiwiology

You're called to a 43 year old male who has fallen down at a mall out in the burbs 30 minutes from hospital.

Upon arrival you find he has been helped into a chair in the food-court, is struggling for breath and in obvious resp distress.

Initial workup:

GCS 15 4/5/6

Speaking 2-3 word sentences

BP 105/90

RR 36, shallow and laboured

PR 102

SPO2 89% RA

Breath sounds reveal coarse bilateral crackles

Patient denies any cardic hx; pmhx renal failure, has not been dialysed in 5 days

12 lead ECG:

emtcity_ss_ecg.jpg

Initial treatment:

- O2 NRB 10lpm

- IV access

- 0.8mg GTN SL

His oxygen saturation does not imrpove and the Advanced Paramedic attempts rapid sequence intubation using midazolam and suxamethonium.

Although successful at gaining an airway and bringing the oxygen saturation up to 97%; the patient sufferes a cardiac arrest and does not survive.

So ... venture a guess at what killed this guy?

Already hyperkalemic and in renal failure from lack of dialysis, the sux pushed him over the edge by significantly increasing potassium levels.

I dunno about RSI though. Sounds like a case for CPAP, IMHO (*listens for Vent's pounding footsteps on her way to tell him how stupid he is....*).

Edited by CBEMT

My guess and I could be wrong here what killed him was a build up of fluid and toxins that his body couldnt get rid of on their own. Unless a jealous wife/gf/or other poisioned him for the money.

I know its the nurse in me. :thumbsup:

The XII lead is characteristic for a possible sine wave pattern. This is highly suggestive of severe hyperkalemia. Add this to a history of renal failure and we need to assume severe hyperkalemia. The team demonstrated poor understanding of the pathophysiology of renal failure and overall knowledge of their medications when they decided to use suxamethonium. (Succinylcholine for those of us who speak proper English. :D )

Edit for emoticon.

Edited by chbare