Ideas for inspiring acceptance of ALS

mobey

So I have taken a job out in the sticks again.

I am at a remote 911 station with FW aeromedical about 90min away (flight time), ALS about 1.5hrs away, and a trauma/ICU about 3.5hrs away (drive time). We do about 500 calls/ year with 1f/t ambulance, 1 on call, this service has always been bls and most of the staff has been here since the beginning

So I have taken on the responcibility of staff development and training. I have 9mos to "convince" these verteran EMT's that paramedics are a good idea, and get them up to speed with some new knowledge as to assist us. I am not forseeing any real difficulties since everyone seems pretty OK with the change.

But really.... that is the problem itself. The staff is just "OK" with als.... They should be excited.

So what I am really looking for is some inspirational ideas from ya'll.

I am doing monthly training nights starting in Sept, the first one will be ALS awareness, and basic assessment review. I will then move on to airway/breathing, cardiac, trauma, etc etc. We will be licenced ALS in May/june of next year, and I want everyone well versed in ALS-assist skills and basic als knowledge.

So I have taken a job out in the sticks again.

I am at a remote 911 station with FW aeromedical about 90min away (flight time), ALS about 1.5hrs away, and a trauma/ICU about 3.5hrs away (drive time). We do about 500 calls/ year with 1f/t ambulance, 1 on call, this service has always been bls and most of the staff has been here since the beginning

So I have taken on the responcibility of staff development and training. I have 9mos to "convince" these verteran EMT's that paramedics are a good idea, and get them up to speed with some new knowledge as to assist us. I am not forseeing any real difficulties since everyone seems pretty OK with the change.

But really.... that is the problem itself. The staff is just "OK" with als.... They should be excited.

So what I am really looking for is some inspirational ideas from ya'll.

I am doing monthly training nights starting in Sept, the first one will be ALS awareness, and basic assessment review. I will then move on to airway/breathing, cardiac, trauma, etc etc. We will be licenced ALS in May/june of next year, and I want everyone well versed in ALS-assist skills and basic als knowledge.

Mobey- Training and educating "veteran" EMT's and Paramedics is often the most challenging project that an EMS educator can take on. I believe that these are challenges that are not unique to EMS. Veterans of all industries are often resistant to change, and difficult to inspire. It doesn't really have anything to do with the industry, but mostly Human Nature. We humans are paradoxically prideful, yet susceptible to an extreme lack of self-confidence. There is an inherent aversion to change and education because internally these people question there ability to learn and provide the new services that are going to be required of them. Yet their pride allows them to talk the talk in between calls, and quote their years of experience in an attempt to somehow prove their worth.

These people can be motivated... they can be brought onto your side. If you are able to, you have quite an Ally on your hands. Veterans like the pack... they like the group dynamic. If one of their group all of a sudden is getting involved and holding himself to a higher level, the rest are likely to follow. Getting them to convert is a tricky matter.

My advice is a multi-faceted psychological attack. First off... you must be complementary to these people. They need to have their ego stroked a little bit to get them onto your side. I am not advocating shining them on, but they need to know that their service to the community, and years of experience is something that you respect. If they feel that you respect them, they are more likely to be passionate about your changes.

Secondly... YOU must be dynamic. You must be passionate about the subjects, well informed and knowledgeable, and you must project that not only is it your job to provide these trainings, but that it is something you WANT to do. They must be able to feel your passion, because it then becomes infectious, and people don't like being left out when they see people enjoying themselves. Try to make the material as exciting as possible... be a dynamic and energetic presenter, don't just kill them with power-point and a Ben Stein mono-tone.

Lastly, and most importantly, make sure that they understand that in the end, it is about the patient. These new skills and information will ultimately lead to better care for the community, and better patient outcomes. Better patient outcomes and improved patient care leads to an increase in respect from other medical professionals, and a better working relationship with complimentary services (PD, local Hospitals, and the med-flight crews).

I'm sure that you have thought of most of the things I propose... but I hope that some of it was helpful. Good Luck! You have a difficult, but interesting challenge ahead of you, I'm sure you will do well.

*edited for stoopid typos*

Edited by cosgrojo

Maybe some selective run reviews. While acknowledging the good work that has been done point out the added benifits to the patents with ALS procedures, Start small and build on it. I have seen numerous times highly skilled people coming into a rural area and being shot down by starting with a statement like " back where I came from..". Watch out for that. Finally remember the art of diplomacy is telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Lastly, and most importantly, make sure that they understand that in the end, it is about the patient. These new skills and information will ultimately lead to better care for the community, and better patient outcomes. Better patient outcomes and improved patient care leads to an increase in respect from other medical professionals, and a better working relationship with complimentary services (PD, local Hospitals, and the med-flight crews).

I agree with everything Cos says, and most importantly I agree with the above. Getting vetrans of any field to accept new and "different" things is sometimes close to impossible. There are those time when you make headway with a few and can use their influence to sway more. One of the important things you need to have them understand is that you're not trying to redesign the wheel, so to speak. Remember to point out that ALL advanced care is based on GOOD basic skills and assessment.

I always point out to my basic classes, both EMT and CPR, that the first thing that is covered in AHA ACLS and PALS is BLS CPR! Without the basics, we can never move to the advanced.

Hmm ,,, How about starting witha PCR review. How many patients last year needed ALS, how many actually got ALS, how many could have benefited by faster ALS care..

Once you have the numbers, hold a meeting.. Heah folks,,, look at how many patients could have benefited from ALS, maybe we should go to medic school ???? ...

Whatever happens you need the support of members of the unit as well as community, and Hospital, you also need a Medical Director, and to buy about 10K worth of ALS gear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.