Can't find a job? Sue your school!

Dustdevil

Only in New York...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/0...3_student_.html

Bronx graduate Trina Thompson sues Monroe College for $70,000 over unemployment

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Monday, August 3rd 2009, 9:24 AM

NEW YORK — A New York City woman who says she can't find a job is suing the college where she earned a bachelor's degree.

Trina Thompson filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court, The New York Post reports. The 27-year-old is seeking the $70,000 she spent on tuition.

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.

She says the Bronx school's Office of Career Advancement hasn't provided her with the leads and career advice it promises.

Monroe College spokesman Gary Axelbank says Thompson's lawsuit is completely without merit.

The college insists it helps its graduates find jobs.

Only in New York...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/0...3_student_.html

Bronx graduate Trina Thompson sues Monroe College for $70,000 over unemployment

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Monday, August 3rd 2009, 9:24 AM

NEW YORK — A New York City woman who says she can't find a job is suing the college where she earned a bachelor's degree.

Trina Thompson filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court, The New York Post reports. The 27-year-old is seeking the $70,000 she spent on tuition.

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.

She says the Bronx school's Office of Career Advancement hasn't provided her with the leads and career advice it promises.

Monroe College spokesman Gary Axelbank says Thompson's lawsuit is completely without merit.

The college insists it helps its graduates find jobs.

I'm surprised this idiot graduated.

I'm sure that she only went to the career advice center once or twice and didn't like the advice given. I'm sure she had high hopes like most graduates that they will get a job right out of college making 6 figures.

There are IT jobs out there but they are not always at the college's job placement centers.

Plus there are more seasoned people out there who have lost their jobs that are looking for the same jobs that this girl is looking for.

She has alot to prove before she can win this case.

I'm surprised this idiot graduated.

I'm sure that she only went to the career advice center once or twice and didn't like the advice given. I'm sure she had high hopes like most graduates that they will get a job right out of college making 6 figures.

There are IT jobs out there but they are not always at the college's job placement centers.

Plus there are more seasoned people out there who have lost their jobs that are looking for the same jobs that this girl is looking for.

She has alot to prove before she can win this case.

I bet she will get laughed out of the court room.

Could this be the reason that even in the commercials on television, they say: “Job placement ASSISTANCE offered upon graduation.”; as opposed to saying: “Job placement GUARANTEE upon graduation.”?

Things are tight, and since there are a lot of people that are going for IT jobs, (as well as other computer related jobs), you should expect that things are going to be very competitive, and just because you did something to bomb an interview; that’s NOT the college/school’s fault!

I would be very surprized if this actually sees the inside of a courtroom....

:fish::fish::bonk::bonk:

Could this be the reason that even in the commercials on television, they say: “Job placement ASSISTANCE offered upon graduation.”; as opposed to saying: “Job placement GUARANTEE upon graduation.”?

Things are tight, and since there are a lot of people that are going for IT jobs, (as well as other computer related jobs), you should expect that things are going to be very competitive, and just because you did something to bomb an interview; that’s NOT the college/school’s fault!

I would be very surprized if this actually sees the inside of a courtroom....

:fish::fish::bonk::bonk:

You just know that this will see the inside of a courtroom. Unless of course the college does a cost benefit analysis and pays her out of court.

She's gonna get some money out of this, this is just how the world operates.

Thanks to the legal system and it's free for all in providing money to those who claim they have been wronged.

It's easier to settle out of court than go thru trial. If you lose then you pay more, if you settle you settle most of the time for less.

The end result will be Money to the student and a precedent will be set for all those college kids with art history degrees not getting jobs and they just threaten to sue and bam, free college.

Unless you are an illegal alien and then your college is FREE

I wonder if she realizes the $70k she's asking for won't last forever and she's pretty much blacklisted herself now. I don't imagine many employers being willing to hire someone so eager to sue. Also, it would be interesting to know if she's applied for even one job on her own, and how many offers she's turned down because they're offering entry level pay to an entry level candidate.

I look at this in another way. Unfortunately, she got EXACTLY the education she should have expected from a small liberal(operative word here) arts college. She was apparently taught that whenever something goes wrong, blame someone else. (Only half kidding)

Sorry, but even in this economy, IT is still one of the few professions that is still hiring- along with the health care industry. Someone else said it- she probably expected a 6 figure salary with a corner office, a company car, free medical, dental, and vision, and 6 weeks vacation- right out of college.

You just know that this will see the inside of a courtroom. Unless of course the college does a cost benefit analysis and pays her out of court.

She's gonna get some money out of this, this is just how the world operates.

Thanks to the legal system and it's free for all in providing money to those who claim they have been wronged.

It's easier to settle out of court than go thru trial. If you lose then you pay more, if you settle you settle most of the time for less.

I don't konw if this is nessesarily true. Unless there is was some iron clad guarantee of a job after graduation, this may just get thrown out long before it gets to court, clearly this case has no merit.

Went to school for IT? Everyone and their grandmother is in IT. Those who are in the field, the majority hate it. The ones who want to get into it, can't because.. everyone and their grandmother does it.

I never seen a school guarantee you employment IN YOUR FIELD after graduation. There are a few that say placement after graduation, mostly tech schools. But the fine print says it does not guarantee you will be working in what you go to school for. They might help you find a job and end up working at burger king.. whamo!! you got a job after graduation...

FAIL