Allergy to Diphenhydramine?

akroeze

I'm not sure you can say I'm allergic to diphenhydramine, but can only take a few doses of it. It makes me extremity nerves. So yes I can see where there could be ppl who can't take it..

Hmmm...... I don't see how.

H1 released by MAST cells causes smooth muscle contraction and vasodilation (among others).

Diphenhydramine is an H1 receptor antagonist, therfore inhibiting these named actions.

If you had a release of H1 due to a Benadryl allergy....... the H1 would still be blocked.

I dunno....

When my oldest son was dx with ADHD, I was warned to watch for adverse reactions to Benadryl. They told me to wtch for him getting more hyper than normal, anxious, or signs of allergic reactions. He didn't have that reaction, but I understand it's fairly common in those with ADD and ADHD.

I've also got a coworker who can take the dye-free Benadryl for about 3 days before she has to stop taking it. After about a day and a half, she starts noting itching in her throat and ears, anxiousness. After day 3, she gets the same reactions from the Benadryl that she gets from the stuff hat she's taking it to deal with.

I've never seen anaphalyxis from using it, but I wouldn't doubt that it is possible. (After some of the allergies I've seen, including soy allergies, I don't doubt anyone saying they have an allergy to something. I just find out how they react to it.)

The nebulized epi is for laryngeoedema. We have it in our protocols here at Ada Paramedics in Boise Idaho, and it is very effective. It is given IN ADDITION TO other therapies including SQ/IM Epi, Benadyl, Solumedrol, Zantac, and albuterol.

Think of it as topical administration of epi via neb to the very vascular tissues of the airway...the alpha effects of the epi vaso-constrict, reducing swelling, in addition to other therapies. It have very relatively mild symptomatic effects, and I have never seen a problem with it and SQ/IM epi given together.

BTW: IM epi is prefered over SQ.

I have had patients with a reported and well described anaphylactic reaction to Benadryl. I have heard it described as an allergy to the suspension Benadryl is in, but cant confirm that.

What I can tell you is that IF you have a reported allergy to benadryl, then Phenegrgan also is an anti-histamine and a good alternative, although with more sedation issues. We also have this in our protocol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.