California State Test Question

sehv13

Well, I logged on to NREMT.org today and found out that I passed the NR the first try so i'm a bit excited. Now that this is out of the way, I'm looking for a new city to move to and would like to check out San Diego. Though if you have any ideas of cities that are in "desperate" (as in very strong chance of being able to find work) need of EMT-B, please feel free to drop me a post with a suggestion.

My question is, does anyone know how much the california EMT-B state exam costs, and will I only have to take a short refresher course, if any class at all, before I can take this state exam? I'm 26 years old, single, no children and while EMT-B's don't make a whole lot of money, its a lot of money compared to what i'm used to. I'm very excited to finally start my career in emergency medicine. I'm desperately trying to move out of new orleans. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated... Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

Southern California pays about the same as New Orleans for an EMT-B, but with twice the cost of living. There are plenty of EMT jobs there, but very few of them are in "emergency medicine". They're private transfer ambulance driver jobs. Even the EMS jobs are just gophers for the firemen. Pretty much the same for Paramedics there too, although at least you have a better chance of getting on an EMS ambulance. South of LA, in Riverside County, there's basically AMR as an EMS employer, and that's about it until you get to San Diego County. In SD proper, Rural-Metro runs EMS transport. I think there are a couple of other privates that have small town or rural EMS contracts in the area too, but I'm not positive.

So Cal is a nicer place to live than NO, and I have lived both places. But the opportunities for an EMS career in So Cal are zero unless you become a career fireman. Louisiana has a much better career potential and EMS job market than So Cal ever will. Although, that's not saying much.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully I can find something out there eventually. I received a phone call last night from Acadian ambulance service that covers most of Louisiana and parts of texas, to come in for an interview monday. I mentioned that I am trying to get out of new orleans, and they mentioned that they were in need of basics in Baton Rouge. Only a couple hours away, but a definite improvement in living. Its probably in my best interest to get at least a year experience on the truck before I attempt to move off anywhere. Again, thank you for the input and response. =)

You won't get rich there, but Acadian is a good company with a lot of opportunity. They are making significant inroads into Texas now too. You would probably like the Austin area, and Acadian is hiring like crazy there, as well as South Texas. It's mostly non-emergency transfer work, but that's pretty much what you get with only an EMT cert. And while it's not the best school, Acadian does have an in-house paramedic programme that you can attend for free if you work there, which will put you on your way to a real job down the line.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Well, I logged on to NREMT.org today and found out that I passed the NR the first try so i'm a bit excited. Now that this is out of the way, I'm looking for a new city to move to and would like to check out San Diego. Though if you have any ideas of cities that are in "desperate" (as in very strong chance of being able to find work) need of EMT-B, please feel free to drop me a post with a suggestion.

My question is, does anyone know how much the california EMT-B state exam costs, and will I only have to take a short refresher course, if any class at all, before I can take this state exam? I'm 26 years old, single, no children and while EMT-B's don't make a whole lot of money, its a lot of money compared to what i'm used to. I'm very excited to finally start my career in emergency medicine. I'm desperately trying to move out of new orleans. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated... Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

Arkansas is a lot closer and the people are a lot nicer too. I spent 5 weeks in NO during Katrina and Gustav met some nice people and made some good friends in EMS. Give our state a look You might like it. I have several openings here now for EMT-B's

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.