Austin Medics Give Up Raises

Dustdevil

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tniuqs some states basically allow the requirement to join a union to get a job. Texas does not do that. It is a right to work/at will state. No union membership required and if a union strikes the employer can just fire everyone. And if Austin EMS fired everyone they could have all positions filled for less money within a week because there are so many diploma mills around for EMS. And as lousy as it would seem to fire everyone many transfer jockeys would jump at chance for a 911 job, so even with a bad Rep from firing everyone they would fill the spots.

Point is the Paramedics have no leverage.

As to drop in volume etc. No probably have seen an increase in calls. But I bet with economic turmoil they are seeing drastic reduction in amount collected. Fewer people have insurance or money and if a person doesn't pay can't really do anything to them.

tniuqs some states basically allow the requirement to join a union to get a job. Texas does not do that. It is a right to work/at will state. No union membership required and if a union strikes the employer can just fire everyone. And if Austin EMS fired everyone they could have all positions filled for less money within a week because there are so many diploma mills around for EMS. And as lousy as it would seem to fire everyone many transfer jockeys would jump at chance for a 911 job, so even with a bad Rep from firing everyone they would fill the spots.

Point is the Paramedics have no leverage.

As to drop in volume etc. No probably have seen an increase in calls. But I bet with economic turmoil they are seeing drastic reduction in amount collected. Fewer people have insurance or money and if a person doesn't pay can't really do anything to them.

So what your saying is being a member of a Union in Texas is pointless to start with as you have no clout in a strike situation anyway and one/ many can be replaced en mass ... well it sure doesn't work that way in BCAS or TO ... its the worst elected officials nightmare thats why the move to essential services legislation in most provinces, heck one can loose a seat in the legislature for putting a bad cat bylaw in place.

The unions here really fight for disability support, representation when false or BS accusations are leveled and safety for the employees ... oh yea they have an agenda, but who doesn't.

I have worked for private services so I know collections can be real issue, but seldom have I found that well unless the operators hand is out and begging for subsidies the books stay locked out of sight.

In Alberta its a blend (so called) but when the government stepped inin April it became a real mess (great timing eh what?).. hence why those that are interested in whats going on across Canada are concerned with the future of Paramedicine and what is going on education, reciprocity and comparative pay levels.... ie the solidarity part is really important if we don't collectively stick together we might as well go back to mules and wagons.

Thing is after my visit to Texas (was great) your cost of living is WAY lower, taxes alone, I just hate seeing a fellow brother get screwed under false pretenses ... laying it on a general economic downturn and using that as an excuse ... I still cant get over the excessive use of Helos down south ... these cost huge pesos and don't really save lives in the long run for the vast majority of patients.

cheers and thanks

You know some of Y'alls should come up and see how if functions here .. NOT that its superior its just different ... and its warm this time of year too.

Well I can tell you that the cops didn't agree to a pay freeze and they lost jobs, same with the teachers union.....Freezing wages for one year isn't going to kill me, losing my job and having to work for a private might. I don't think my union had much choice, it went to a general membership vote, the members could have voted it down but chose not to.

But Help me out here first splenac ..

I don't know why... but I've gotten quite a bit of a laugh out of this line... splenac... that's funny. I have nothing of value to add to this discussion... so please ignore me. :D

I have nothing of value to add to this discussion... so please ignore me. :D

As you wish ... :ph34r:

My bad ?

Umm don't answer that's a rhetorical question.

cheers

Well, I look at it this way.

Where I work, all professional staff didn't get our annual raise this year. Professional, administration, deans, even faculty or so I'm told. There were some layoffs as well, though the number of open positions going unfilled kept that low. Even the President's office lost at least one position.

The cops, janitorial/maintenance, and food service did get a raise. And didn't lose any jobs.

They have union contracts.

Unions aren't the answer to everything, and in some cases make things more difficult and more expensive than need be.

But I sure could've used a raise this year. Especially with how well my performance review went.

Edited by CBEMT

You Toronto and BC guys better not let your bosses see this!

Are you purposely trying to pick a fight with the Canucks? When it comes to pushing for better educational standards and better standards of practise you're usually right on the mark. Why the lack of research with regards to Canadian labour relations? Comparing US private and or municipal labour relations to those involving Canadian medics is like comparing oranges to potatoes. They're not even both fruit.

The medics in Toronto for example actually still have a contract. The TEMS contract expires in December. TEMS medics have been pulled into this dispute because other Toronto municipal workers happen to be in the same union. One thing many TEMS medics want is their own local which would help prevent them from being pulled another trash collectors strike.

In BC the provincial healthcare budget for 2009 is approximately $15.7 Billion CAD. The portion of that budget allotted to BCAS is approximately $314 million CAD. The BC provincial government is attempting to run EMS for the entire province on roughly 2% of the provincial health budget. How's that for a little bit of perspective? I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure EMS for an entire province is worth a little more than 2% of the health budget. Note I said 2% of the health budget not 2% of the provincial budget.

In BC there is specific legislation governing collective bargaining for Police and Fire services called the "Police and Fire Services Collective Bargaining Act". Being included in this act eliminates these groups ability to strike. In return Police and Fire unions are entitled to an independent third party arbitrator should negotiations between the union and employer bargaining teams break down. One of CUPE 873's main goals is to be included in this act (CUPE 873 being the union local representing BCAS paramedics and dispatchers). An "Emergency Services Collective Bargaining Act" would end all strike action on the part of emergency services and ensure a fair collective bargaining process. That's all we're really asking for.

Comparing US private and or municipal labour relations to those involving Canadian medics is like comparing oranges to potatoes. They're not even both fruit.

FAIL.

Read much? I already said (and I shouldn't have had to) that I didn't compare anything. Just sayin you better hope your service and community leaders don't see the article. Because, unlike me, they will make the comparison.

FAIL.

Read much? I already said (and I shouldn't have had to) that I didn't compare anything. Just sayin you better hope your service and community leaders don't see the article. Because, unlike me, they will make the comparison.

No Dust you did make such a comparison. ...[Comments regarding deleted content removed - Admin]...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.