What motivates someone to be an EMT?

In my research to decide if EMS is the right move for me, I keep running up against a question in my head that I would like an answer to from people who are in the industry. With the low pay, the thanklessness, the stresses of the job etc, what are the positives that overcome those very big drawbacks to being an EMT?

I guess from where I'm sitting, a person with no special training and a high school diploma could get a job as a data entry clerk where I am in Boston and make more money, be in a climate controlled environment for 8 hours a day and go home with little , if any ,stress...so what exactly would motivate someone to forgo that option and take a job working EMS?

I'm sure there are positives to the EMT job, and I'd love to hear about those as hearing about the negatives seems to be what is talked about more frequently.

Thanks.

You are looking at your career choice from the wrong direction. You should choose a career based on what you love, regardless of pay. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a job you hate. The problem with this generation is that you tend to live above your means -- your parents probably didnt have two car payments of $300-400/mo, and a $1000 house payment when they were your age. They probably drove a used car, and rented their home for the first several years.

The EMS profession pays very well compared to other industries (EMTI, not EMTB), and as with most industries your goal should be to reach the top, paramedic then management (if you are a nurse you want to be an RN not an LPN, if you are an electrician you want to be a master electrician not an apprentice). Now to those who will say I have lost my mind on the pay scale thing, lets compare your data entry clerk. According to salary.com the average starting salary is $23k/year ( http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouth...OF13000022.html )

EMT is slightly higher (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_salaryresults.asp?hdSearchByOption=0&hdSearchByOption=0&hdKeyword=Emergency%20Medical%20Technician&hdJobCategory=HC02&hdZipCode=&hdStateMetro=&hdGeoLocation=U.S.%20National%20Averages&hdJobCode=HC07000326&hdJobTitle=Emergency%20Medical%20Technician&hdCurrentTab=&hdNarrowDesc=Healthcare%20--%20Technicians

But regardless lets go with a low starting rateof $10.00/hour for EMTI who works the typical 48 hour/week schedule than now dominates the industry: you would be making 27k without any extra shifts to start, and you would still have 3 days to pick up extra shifts at your overtime rate of $15.00/hour (or at another job).

Now lets take a 24/48 at $8.00/hour, you would be making 26K to work 2 days per week, leaving you 4-5 days per week to make extra money. At your data entry job, you would probably work Mon-Fri, with little Overtime available.

We can argue all day about whether you should have to work two jobs, but being able to pull in two incomes during my early career allowed my wife to stay home with the kids. The pay has doubled since I started in the 80s and you now have benefits at almost every employer. With that being said, it is still a young profession, so you will be one of the early pioneers who helps to make it better for future generations, just as my generation did for you. Most EMTs are starting in the 20's-30s, and most medics are making in the high 30s to low 40s to start, without a 4 year degree. Thats not bad.

As I always ask the whiners who gripe about EMS pay, I always counter with, what could you do at your current education level (most are college dropouts) in this current economy, and make the same money ? There are not that many options.

Yes in data entry, you would be in a climate controlled building, and would probably never break a sweat, but would punching the same data into a computer 40 hours/week for the rest of your life be rewarding ? Would it be too boring ? No two days in EMS are the same, and you get to make a difference in someone elses life occassionally -- you cant get that in data entry.

And to help you understand why you hear only negative, we have a running joke in this industry: Whats the difference between a Paramedic and a puppy ?

The puppy quits whining after 6 weeks.

Thank you for your reply, and I couldn't agree more with the things you have said. In my particular situation I'm at a insurance job in Boston making good money, I have a 4 year degree in Business...but the 9-5 Mon through Friday is really wearing on me, not the hours or even the routine, but just the fact that I don't feel as if I am making a difference in the world.

I have always had an interest in EMS, back in college at U-Mass I used to work as a first responder along side the EMT service that the college had, and I really thought the subject was interesting, but corporate America came calling , and I never pursued it.

The salary quoted below for an EMT would be approximately a 50% paycut from where I am currently, but lately even a pay cut of that magnitude and the thought of working two jobs, or picking up OT shifts as an EMT to make ends meat isn't a deal breaker for me. To go home at night and feel like I accomplished something would be more meaningful...and I think that EMS can offer that, but I wanted to hear some opinions on this blog as to if other's thought that was so.

You are looking at your career choice from the wrong direction. You should choose a career based on what you love, regardless of pay. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a job you hate. The problem with this generation is that you tend to live above your means -- your parents probably didnt have two car payments of $300-400/mo, and a $1000 house payment when they were your age. They probably drove a used car, and rented their home for the first several years.

The EMS profession pays very well compared to other industries (EMTI, not EMTB), and as with most industries your goal should be to reach the top, paramedic then management (if you are a nurse you want to be an RN not an LPN, if you are an electrician you want to be a master electrician not an apprentice). Now to those who will say I have lost my mind on the pay scale thing, lets compare your data entry clerk. According to salary.com the average starting salary is $23k/year ( http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouth...OF13000022.html )

EMT is slightly higher (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_salaryresults.asp?hdSearchByOption=0&hdSearchByOption=0&hdKeyword=Emergency%20Medical%20Technician&hdJobCategory=HC02&hdZipCode=&hdStateMetro=&hdGeoLocation=U.S.%20National%20Averages&hdJobCode=HC07000326&hdJobTitle=Emergency%20Medical%20Technician&hdCurrentTab=&hdNarrowDesc=Healthcare%20--%20Technicians

But regardless lets go with a low starting rateof $10.00/hour for EMTI who works the typical 48 hour/week schedule than now dominates the industry: you would be making 27k without any extra shifts to start, and you would still have 3 days to pick up extra shifts at your overtime rate of $15.00/hour (or at another job).

Now lets take a 24/48 at $8.00/hour, you would be making 26K to work 2 days per week, leaving you 4-5 days per week to make extra money. At your data entry job, you would probably work Mon-Fri, with little Overtime available.

We can argue all day about whether you should have to work two jobs, but being able to pull in two incomes during my early career allowed my wife to stay home with the kids. The pay has doubled since I started in the 80s and you now have benefits at almost every employer. With that being said, it is still a young profession, so you will be one of the early pioneers who helps to make it better for future generations, just as my generation did for you. Most EMTs are starting in the 20's-30s, and most medics are making in the high 30s to low 40s to start, without a 4 year degree. Thats not bad.

As I always ask the whiners who gripe about EMS pay, I always counter with, what could you do at your current education level (most are college dropouts) in this current economy, and make the same money ? There are not that many options.

Yes in data entry, you would be in a climate controlled building, and would probably never break a sweat, but would punching the same data into a computer 40 hours/week for the rest of your life be rewarding ? Would it be too boring ? No two days in EMS are the same, and you get to make a difference in someone elses life occassionally -- you cant get that in data entry.

And to help you understand why you hear only negative, we have a running joke in this industry: Whats the difference between a Paramedic and a puppy ?

The puppy quits whining after 6 weeks.

A few things...

Physically demanding at times. The hours are rough, your sleep patterns are irregular, your eating habits aren't the best. Not only can you see things that most people shudder at, you need to make sense of them and then react appropriately.

Pay varies greatly by job title, location, and employer. EMTB's would be on the lower end, obviously paramedics get paid better. Pay also depends on where you work- hospital based, private provider, 3rd service as a 911 responder, as a cross trained Firefigher/EMT or paramedic.

I think you need to do some ride time on a fire based unit, a private provider, and/or in an Emergency room to get a feel for the job. Do multiple attempts, because no 2 days are alike. You may get what is called the "curse of the rider" where it's the slowest, most boring day in the history of that unit.

Bottom line- like was said above- it can't be about the pay, because in most cases, the pay is not the attraction. If this is indeed the business for you, once you do it, it will become like a drug-you can't get enough. It will also be the toughest job you'll ever love.

It takes a different breed- people in this business are crazy, but they will be the most loyal, true, and protective friends you will ever have. It's a family- with all the requisite drama that goes with any family.

Good luck.

What motivates someone to become an EMT?

I'm insane, why else would I want to be in EMS? :lol:

I suppose it's what I enjoy, it's where I can do what I do best and have some tangible positive outcome beyond oh I met some goal this evil corporation has which probably involves screwing people over, ripping them off or causing them some untold pain, suffering or misery through corporate evil-doing.

To list them, I'd say the following ...

- It's something I enjoy (medicine)

- Because I enjoy it; I'm motivated to always learn more (which for us, isint a bad thing)

- Includes a range of hands on skills (defibrillation, IVs, splinting, boards etc)

- No two calls are ever the same

- You get to meet a lot of very interesting people

- Get to do something positive and rewarding that doesn't involve screwing people over working for some evil corporation

- And lets not forget ... what job pays you to sit on your arse and watch cable TV and/or sleep between calls?

Come work in America and see if that holds true for EMS...

"Get to do something positive and rewarding that doesn't involve screwing people over working for some evil corporation"

Unless you are running the show and it's your name on the company door, the previous statement is true for ANY job you have.

Edited by HERBIE1

I guess from where I'm sitting, a person with no special training and a high school diploma could get a job as a data entry clerk where I am in Boston and make more money, be in a climate controlled environment for 8 hours a day and go home with little , if any ,stress...so what exactly would motivate someone to forgo that option and take a job working EMS?

Except for the no stress part, that was basically my job before I went to EMT school. After that experience I will do whatever I have to do to avoid such a mundane, micro-managed, every day the same as the last existence ever again. Even in my current job as a supervisor, the desk still makes me itchy sometimes (thankfully I still go to all the calls with my crew).

And believe it or not, my first job as a Basic was a pay raise from Corporate Hell, too! :lol: I know, one in a million that that happens to.

I'm not even that interested in a future "mainstream" hospital-type healthcare profession, at the moment anyway, because I just like being out "in it" too much.

Edited by CBEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.