Met the crew

WolfmanHarris

Back in the fall, while I was still a student, my Grandfather suffered an SCA while on a job site. He had been feeling sick and told the general contractor that he was going to his truck. Luckily the contractor followed closely behind and found him collapsed on the ground. Luckily the job site was a retirement home and the RN on duty started CPR right away. Luckily a crew from Simcoe County Paramedic services happened to be clearing from a cath lab stat transfer and were only blocks away on their way back to their region. Luckily an ALS crew from York Region EMS was available and nearby and was also able to attend. And luckily they got a ROSC and were able to transport to Southlake Regional Health Centre, the premiere cardiac centre in the area that also happened to be close by.

Six weeks later, after signing a DNR and being told best case would be six month before we could transfer him to a LTC, my Grandfather left the hospital, to return home, neurologically intact and with no obvious deficits.

Yesterday, I had a chance to meet the crew from SCPS that was first on scene as part of a "Survivor's Day" put on by my Regional Base Hospital. I got to shake their hands and meet them in a uniform not to different from my own and thank them, for doing their job.

There are now two medics and a dispatcher, who I will forever owe coffee and I couldn't be happier for the privilege.

Thoughts you guys and gals might appreciate that.

- Matt

There's something extremely satisfying about being able to thank another crew like that. Being on the other end of the stick and having another crew live up to the same expectations you place on yourself is one of those things you can never forget. Kudos to the responding crews, and best of luck to your grandfather during his continuing recovery.

Ed

I'm glad your grandfather is doing well. It must have really been an awesome experience to meet the crew. This makes me wonder why we don't have a survivor's day around here.

FDNY EMS Command has something like that, a brunch for arrest survivors, and the EMTs and Paramedics who saved them. It's called the Second Chance Brunch, and is usually used as a photo op during EMS Week.

Great story. doc. Glad to see your grandfather is doing well.

Personally, I think the thank you's from families like that make all the other BS we deal with worthwhile. Far more satisfying than a bonus, but I'd never turn that down, either. LOL

By the way, while I have not had such a success story for myself, it is nice to hear a Paramedic team call over the radio that they were in route to the hospital with a "Post Cardiac Arrest" patient. The crew, and the woman they saved, a neighbor from the next block from me, appeared in the NY Post, and NY Daily News.

Edited by Richard B the EMT