Relocating

Mparham02

Hi all

I am a paramedic in Portland Oregon. I am unemployed currently, and there are no medic jobs here. I am certified here through 2011, and I am an NREMT-P. I would like to relocate. Not sure where I want to go, but I will not go to California. I am a single father of two boys that are very active in sports. Would like to find a medium to large city. I have worked for private all of my EMS career and would like to work for a public agency that is only 911.

Can any one here point me in a direction so that I may find employment.

I work with Rural/Metro out here in Buffalo NY, and we are busy busy busy. Decent size little city w/ all the works as far as EMS is concerned. Shitty upper echelon as far as management is considered though. Lousy pay, but where is there good pay I guess. I am also a father of two boys active in sports and I make every game/event. I work Sun, mon, tues, Friday all 0500 - 1700. You can work 8's, 12's, 16's, 24's - whatever you want around here.

Give us more information and you will get much better replies.

What weather do you want, what scenery do you want?

Do you want urban and rural within the same city simply by driving 25 minutes out?

What grade level are the boys in order for us to tell you about the schools?

The needs of your children should be addressed before just looking for a cool medic job. You are correct not to choose CA since that state can barely afford to cover the very basic educational needs of kids. Florida isn't doing much better since Jeb messed things up. Both of those states are very expensive. FL is even expensive for basic rental and car insurance. Plus, you may be running AC 24/7 x 360 days/year in some parts which can get very expensive. Florida is also largely Fire based EMS and the market is saturated with medic mill grads waiting for a job with a FD. CA is stuck somewhere in the 70s with very limited opportunities for Paramedics to be Paramedics even if you do work for a FD.

That being said, Lee County EMS (FL) is decent but again there is the cost of living and so-so schools.

Another forum member here, croaker260, is always saying good things about his service in Idaho(?).

http://www.adaweb.net/Paramedics/tabid/75/Default.aspx/

Being from Oregon, do you have a 2 year degree in EMS?

The needs of your children should be addressed before just looking for a cool medic job. You are correct not to choose CA since that state can barely afford to cover the very basic educational needs of kids. Florida isn't doing much better since Jeb messed things up. Both of those states are very expensive. FL is even expensive for basic rental and car insurance. Plus, you may be running AC 24/7 x 360 days/year in some parts which can get very expensive. Florida is also largely Fire based EMS and the market is saturated with medic mill grads waiting for a job with a FD. CA is stuck somewhere in the 70s with very limited opportunities for Paramedics to be Paramedics even if you do work for a FD.

That being said, Lee County EMS (FL) is decent but again there is the cost of living and so-so schools.

Another forum member here, croaker260, is always saying good things about his service in Idaho(?).

http://www.adaweb.net/Paramedics/tabid/75/Default.aspx/

Being from Oregon, do you have a 2 year degree in EMS?

Im heavily involved in our testing of new employees...PM me if you have specific questions I can answer.

I do not anticipate a hiring test until Fall (Sept) at the earliest, but if you are interested at all, get your packet together now.

I too am a father of two, and family wise this is great place to be.

Edited by croaker260

Give us more information and you will get much better replies.

What weather do you want, what scenery do you want?

Do you want urban and rural within the same city simply by driving 25 minutes out?

What grade level are the boys in order for us to tell you about the schools?

We would like to find an urban area. We would like an area that has all four seasons. We like snow in the winter and warm weather in the summer.

My boys are going into the 5th and 8th grades.

My oldest would like to be close to a city that has both an MLB and NFL team.

I have a AS degree. It is not just about finding the cool EMS job, but finding employment I have been unemployed since Jan 09. I would like to find someplace where I can work in the field fulltime and part time as an instructor. I have been working part time at our local community college as a skills instructor. I applied for Philly Fire, so I am certified in PA as a paramedic. But, there is no place that is out of the question to us.

Thanks for all the responces.

Buffalo has all of what you are asking for, except for a MLB team. The outlying areas, like the southtowns are ideal for you as the schools are tremendous, and the Buffalo Bills are literally like 5 minutes from my house out here in Hamburg NY. Hamburg area is a small town vibe, but your like 10 minutes from the city of Buffaly. I work in the city, but live in hamburg so the schools are much nicer, and the little hometown ambiance is very nice. We do have the farm team of the Mets in the city, which is fun. We also have great hockey here w/ the Buffalo Sabres. Tons of sporting opportunites w/ soccer, baseball, football and especially hockey for the kiddos. Tons of experience out here in Buffalo as well. Send me an email if your more interested and I can get you points of contact. We definately need more medics and they would hire in a heartbeat. The reciprocity process isnt horrible through NY either. I moved here from NC and it didnt take long to change out cards. Lots of snow in the winter, and right now its in the low 80's daily. Gorgeous area here in the southtowns, and your also only 40 minutes away from Niagara falls.

Buffalo has all of what you are asking for, except for a MLB team.
Well, the Blue Jays are only 1 1/2 hrs. away. MEDIC in Charlotte NC is hiring currently. Here is their website address.

www.medic911.com

Good luck with your search.

Edited by JakeEMTP