Question on EMT-B/Paramedic Training

Who qualifies as competent authority in that instance?

A certified instructor affiliated with an authorised training centre. That means, not just anyone with an instructor card can do it. They have to be working under (in the case of the Red Cross) a specific Chapter's authority, issuing cards from that Chapter. It used to be that any AHA instructor could "freelance" to teach anywhere, anytime, with no oversight. Now they are structured much like the Red Cross, and require instructors to be affiliated with a specifically authorised centre.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A certified instructor affiliated with an authorised training centre. That means, not just anyone with an instructor card can do it. They have to be working under (in the case of the Red Cross) a specific Chapter's authority, issuing cards from that Chapter. It used to be that any AHA instructor could "freelance" to teach anywhere, anytime, with no oversight. Now they are structured much like the Red Cross, and require instructors to be affiliated with a specifically authorised centre.

Thanks for the gouge. Do you know if military training centers (I believe most Army medical units carry Red Cross Certifications but I've got a training officer over there I'm good friends with I can ask) are considered authorized training centers. How long are refreshers to maintain CPR courses usually? One day, two?

There was certainly no gouge intended there. Not sure what you are talking about. :mellow:

I am not sure if the Navy as a whole is considered a "centre" or not (as they are with the NR), or if it is a local issue. Sorry I can't help any better than that. When I was teaching with the military, it was a local issue that was inconsistent from base to base.

Edited by Dustdevil

There was certainly no gouge intended there. Not sure what you are talking about. :mellow:

I am not sure if the Navy as a whole is considered a "centre" or not (as they are with the NR), or if it is a local issue. Sorry I can't help any better than that. When I was teaching with the military, it was a local issue that was inconsistent from base to base.

Gouge = advice or information given by more experienced servicemembers to junior or less experienced counterparts.

It's alright, I can ask my local units if their programs are certified by American Red Cross. I would think that such things would be standardized though.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been under attack enough here lately that I've become paranoid. :rolleyes:

I can't see why you've been under attack. Albeit from my admittedly limited perspective, you've given me plenty of useful information.

I still intend to work as a firefighter/paramedic somewhere in Central Florida. The agencies I've considered are Orlando Fire Department, Seminole County FD, Volusia Fire and Rescue, and Orange County FD.

As far as training goes it's either Valencia CC or Seminole CC.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been under attack enough here lately that I've become paranoid. :rolleyes:

It's kinda like king of the hill only with a mouse

It's kinda like king of the hill only with a mouse

Dang it... Bobby.

• 2 weeks later...
Start here to look for an accredited Paramedic program.

http://www.coaemsp.org/

http://www.coaemsp.org/accreditatedprograms.htm

This is a division of CAAHEP linked by paramedicmike.

Hopefully the same school will also have an EMT-B program.

Stick with state community colleges or 4 year programs so that some of your previous credits will apply. For a well rounded medical education, you should have some sciences: college level Anatomy & Physiology with lab - at least two semesters, Microbiology, Chemistry, Pathophysiology. A good program should take you about 2 years and you'll have a degree. There are also a few program that are 4 year programs where the majority of your undergrad degree will transfer and the rest will still be about two years. As far as experience as an EMT-B which is essentially a first-aid provider. You don't need any more time at that level than what it takes to finish your Paramedic classes.

Or, you can do the zero to hero route by finding a 2 - 3 week crash course (120 hours) for EMT-B and then follow up with a 3 month medic mill.

At this time there are only one or two states that require a college degree. Oregon is definitely one of them. Texas has an optional degree "license". Kansas is another but I am not at all familiar with that state.

I am an EMT-B in Mississippi and currently in paramedic school. I would suggest going to basic school and working on the truck while your in paramedic school. Plenty of experience to be found during that 2-3 years of paramedic school. I also suggest enrolling in a program that is accredited and offers at least an associates degree.

I am an EMT-B in Mississippi and currently in paramedic school. I would suggest going to basic school and working on the truck while your in paramedic school. Plenty of experience to be found during that 2-3 years of paramedic school. I also suggest enrolling in a program that is accredited and offers at least an associates degree.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take that under advisement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.