Question on EMT-B/Paramedic Training

As some already know I intend to go into the EMS community as a paramedic after my stint with the Navy expires later this year. I already have a bachelor's degree in English and I figured that depending on the program I go into (I'm gonna go the community college route) I can focus almost entirely on the EMT and Paramedic courses. I was wondering how long training takes normally. Two years? Three? Five years?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To go from zero to hero, around 3yrs all said and done. That doesn't include that years of experience you should have between EMT and Paramedic though.

Sorry to be a pain but can you elaborate the years of experience bit? I gather that means I will do some time as an EMT-B/first responder before I start Paramedic school?

Sorry to be a pain but can you elaborate the years of experience bit? I gather that means I will do some time as an EMT-B/first responder before I start Paramedic school?

yes

Citation-Needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

citations? and open up 20 old threads? all with the same topic and same discussion? :P

Or dear lord, someone doing it right!!! This needs to be rewarded with good advice. So I'll try what I can.

Don't waste your time gaining experience as a Basic. This has been argued to death on this forum, and a quick search of "experience" will find the torn up remains. Suffice to say, Paramedic and EMT programs do not speak the same language and EMT-B does not provide a good foundation for Paramedicine. Spending time at that level will actually put you at a disadvantage when trying to learn later on.

When choosing a program you want one that offers at least an associates degree and has two full credit A&P courses. Already having a university I won't waste your time extolling the importance of a good education. You want a program that gives you a good foundation in the sciences, provides clinical placement experience and have instructors whose credentials include more then time on the road. You don't not want a "condensed", "compressed", "accelerated" or any other medic mill course that will churn you out in six months with the bare minimum to pass the exam.

For specifics, VentMedic, DustDevil, ParamedicMike, RidRyder, Spenac and MANY others will give you excellent advice on where to look. I'm not from the US so any advice I give, is essentially just parroting what I've learned from them.

Welcome to the City!

- Matt

citations? and open up 20 old threads? all with the same topic and same discussion? :P

All of which contain comments from people who don't know any better stating that you need tons of BLS experience before starting something completely new and beyond the understanding of those who haven't been through paramedic school yet.

Or, you could listen to the people who have been there, who have a real college education on which to build (much like the OP) and who realize that getting into a real paramedic program requires little more than being smart and driven enough to do the work...NOT any set amount of time as a BLS provider.

If you really want to beat that dead horse...AGAIN...then please be my guest. But let's just try to help this guy without citing unsubstantiated rumor and cliche, shall we?

To the OP:

Find yourself a degree awarding, accredited program in which to enroll. I think you'll find you'll have much better luck. A real paramedic program, including prerequisites, can be completed in two to three years (depending on what classes you've already taken and summer classes once accepted).

Or, you can put your GI Bill funds to better use and go to either nursing school or physician assistant school. Hell, you could even shoot for medical school and be our boss at some point. Even if you were in the Navy. :o Just kidding. ;)

Good luck!

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

Start here to look for an accredited Paramedic program.

http://www.coaemsp.org/

http://www.coaemsp.org/accreditatedprograms.htm

This is a division of CAAHEP linked by paramedicmike.

Hopefully the same school will also have an EMT-B program.

Stick with state community colleges or 4 year programs so that some of your previous credits will apply. For a well rounded medical education, you should have some sciences: college level Anatomy & Physiology with lab - at least two semesters, Microbiology, Chemistry, Pathophysiology. A good program should take you about 2 years and you'll have a degree. There are also a few program that are 4 year programs where the majority of your undergrad degree will transfer and the rest will still be about two years. As far as experience as an EMT-B which is essentially a first-aid provider. You don't need any more time at that level than what it takes to finish your Paramedic classes.

Or, you can do the zero to hero route by finding a 2 - 3 week crash course (120 hours) for EMT-B and then follow up with a 3 month medic mill.

At this time there are only one or two states that require a college degree. Oregon is definitely one of them. Texas has an optional degree "license". Kansas is another but I am not at all familiar with that state.

Do you happen to be a Corpsman?

I plan on going into the EMS field after the Marines!

No I'm not a Corpsman.

Find yourself a degree awarding, accredited program in which to enroll. I think you'll find you'll have much better luck. A real paramedic program, including prerequisites, can be completed in two to three years (depending on what classes you've already taken and summer classes once accepted).

Already having a degree can I simply focus on the EMT/Paramedic courses?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.