Dancing Queen

Forgive my ignorance please. Is Benadryl a commonly used anti-emetic? I had no idea an anti-histimine would function as such. How much would you give in this case, taking into account the additive effects Benadryl has on alcohol and benzodiazapines?

Benadryl does have some anti-emetic properties, but there are much better choices. I would avoid it in this particular case because of it's sedating effects as well as it's possible interactions with anything she may have taken. I would go for zofran as an anti-emetic.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting vitals indeed. Especially the HR.

12 lead?

Odour on the breath?

Any more info from the Ho's?

The history is screaming dehydration, but the vitals are just not consistant with hypovolemia.

Intubate

fluid bolus

repeat BGL

Are the pupils responsive?

This could easily be a closed head injury (bleed, CVA, tumor etc)

Just to be different I may choose Maxeran as an anti-emetic :P

Just to be different I may choose Maxeran as an anti-emetic :P

I would steer clear of Maxeran. (Reglan for your southern mates, or Maxolon in other countries.) Without a really clear history and the presence of seizures, this medication could precipitate additional problems. In addition, the risk of EPS may be higher in this patient, as we do not yet have a clear idea of what is going on, or what other substances are on board.

I have my suspicions, but will keep them to my self for now.

Take care,

chbare.

Forgive my ignorance please. Is Benadryl a commonly used anti-emetic? I had no idea an anti-histimine would function as such. How much would you give in this case, taking into account the additive effects Benadryl has on alcohol and benzodiazapines?

Just food for thought, Phenergan is a histamine blocker, and is used as an anti-emetic.

Do the sorority sisters say anything about this "partying"? Was she drinking or using drugs? Her bp is kinda high, hr low, rr high. Since we don't appear to be getting much from "da hos" does she show any signs of trauma or chronic alcohol use? I say fudge the fluid bolus, run it kvo. The bp is already rising and too high. Also, is she still perfusing adequately? I'd get ready to pace(hr 50) and if she's not perfusing well get that started. Oh, and get her on the nrb @15. May bring that hr up a little. Maybe not, but worth a try. What's her skin turgor like, btw?

Foregive me I'm not too up on all those blood tests and this is starting to get a bit above my head so I will forego firing off a lot of "normal" values when they may infact not be normal and misleading everbody.

The important stuff is below

Serum osm 200

CSF osm > serum (unable to find a normal range)

Urine NA is 40

Urine osm is 250

FENa .14

UP Creat 150

Preg neg

BAC 0

BGL 6

Foregive me I'm not too up on all those blood tests and this is starting to get a bit above my head so I will forego firing off a lot of "normal" values when they may infact not be normal and misleading everbody.

The important stuff is below

Serum osm 200

CSF osm > serum (unable to find a normal range)

Urine NA is 40

Urine osm is 250

FENa .14

UP Creat 150

Preg neg

BAC 0

BGL 6

Would you identify the units of measurement as well? This can vary from country to country depending on the lab test. Using a reference range of 285-295 mOsm/kg for the normal serum osmolality, it would appear to be a bit on the low side. Since you need a serum sodium, glucose, and BUN to calculate serum osmolality, would these findings be available? (I do notice the BGL of 6.) The serum sodium would be of particular interest.

Take care,

chbare.