Dancing Queen

So I posted this earlier and it vanished ....

You are called to a local frat house for a seizing female about 20. Her frat sisters report she was feeling unwell/N&V the last few days, uanble to pee and had been having cramps. Tonight she was partying when she began to complain of a headache and started to seize shortly thereafter.

The college med school lab is at your disposal should you request it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so again, the scene is safe, is the patient in any acute distress ie; activley seizing, if not is she awake/alert, abc's vital signs are in order, if the patient can give a Hx get if not see what you can get from the frat house ho's, then basic ALS Iv, blood glucose, ekg, and O2 sat at the very least you have a line for transport just in case she starts to seize again.

Patient is still seizing; 5mg of midazolam settles it down nicely.

You get the following from da ho's:

S: N&V, lethargy, headache, unable to pass urine, generalised cramps x 2 days

A: NKA

M: NA

P: NA

L: Unknown

E: Was hanging out with the other frat sisters

BP is 160/100

PR is 84 reguar

RR is 20 NL

ECG shows inverted T waves in Lead II

Okay cool, cool, so with 5 mg of midazolam on board I would follow with benadryl of some other form of a anti-nausea specific med like zoran, have to say her vital signs seem stable, I would not be to worry with the ekg inturpetation at this point the only other thing I might do is put on a nasal cannula at 4lpm and transport, ofcourse I am about 5 minutes away from the er.

I am not a taxi, nor am I 5min from ER.

Is the pt Cx now?

Temp?

Pupils?

NEuro exam?

Track marks?

BGL

Unable to urinate?? Hmmm??? lemme think... Kidneys, ureter problems,,hmm I dunno

better do the 2 quick meningitis tests.

Don't give the answer yet, I got more assessment to come buddy!

Strange, I had a post disappear in one of my scenarios earlier today. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will hide as not to ruin what looks to be a great and relevant scenario.

History of MDMA use?

I suspect severe hyponatermia.

Take care,

chbare.

Patient is unconscious w GCS 4 (1/1/2)

Nuero will localize painful stimuli

No track marks

BGL is 6 mmol or 108ml/dl

Temp is 37°C or 98°F

Pupils dialated

Negative meningitis

New vitals

PR 50

RR 24

BP 170/100

Hmm, interesting BP and heart rate. Diazepam, don't be "one of those EMTs". Your EKG in an OD can be very important and very revealing. Where is the cramping? Is it abd cramping or muscular cramping?

I'd like to order a cmp, tylenol, ASA, alcohol levels, serum osm, abg, urine drug screen, cpk, UA, urine preg to start.

I'd also like to get more information from "da ho's" and I'll let our female members address that comment. FYI, they are sorority sisters, not fraternity sisters.

Some food for thought on this case. She has been vomiting for several days and not making any urine. Could be dehydration, but do her vitals say dehydration?

Okay cool, cool, so with 5 mg of midazolam on board I would follow with benadryl or some other form of a anti-nausea specific med like zoran,

Forgive my ignorance please. Is Benadryl a commonly used anti-emetic? I had no idea an anti-histimine would function as such. How much would you give in this case, taking into account the additive effects Benadryl has on alcohol and benzodiazapines?

Edited by Arctickat