More FAIL in Massachusetts

Dustdevil

These are the same jokers who went to the media awhile back proclaiming that they didn't need supervisors (see http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?showtopic...&hl=bedford ). Good job proving that point, guys! But I'm not sure who fails worse, the EMTs or the system they work for.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/art...uspended/14145/

Mass. health department recommends 2 EMTs be suspended

By BRIAN CRANDALL

Reporter

Published: June 2, 2009

NEW BEDFORD, Mass.—The Massachusetts Department of Public Health recommends that two New Bedford paramedics be suspended for 30 days for failing to perform CPR on a baby during an emergency call in December.

The two paramedics, Rosemary Nunes and Ivan Brody, were also cited for inaccurately recording the details of the December emergency call, according to a complaint investigation report issued by the health department.

Mayor Scott Lang said he intended to review the incident and would announce any actions later this week.

The recommended suspensions stem from an incident in the early hours of Dec. 4, when Nunes and Brody responded to a 911 report of a baby who was not breathing, according to the report.

According to the report, Nunes and Brody did not perform CPR on the child after a police officer had already started.

“The only thing that you would want for your kids is for someone to continue resuscitation right up until the hospital and not even think twice about it,“ Lang said.

According to the report, an EMT supervisor arrived a few minutes later and said Nunes and Brody weren’t doing anything and that he started CPR himself. The child later died.

“Obviously, a terrible judgment was made and medical protocol wasn’t followed. I understand there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that they cited, but my feeling is that the people in our ambulance services are charged with one mission and one responsibility and that’s to perform life-saving techniques and practices until a doctor indicates that they are no longer warranted,“ Lang said.

Investigators from the Department of Public Health said Brody told them that he thought the baby was already dead.

“I don’t believe that they made a decision thinking that in any way that they were affecting the chances of the young child to live,“ Lang said.

Investigators found that the EMTs incident report after the fact said CPR was continued when it was not.

“I also am disturbed about the fact that the records weren’t 100 percent accurate and that’s something that caught my eye,“ Lang said.

Questions still linger about when the incident was reported to the state. The mayor said he only found out about it on Monday, but he said the city let the state know the day it happened.

The state, however, said it found out two months later and not from the city, but from a whistleblower.

The EMT supervisor who arrived at the scene—but has since been laid off because of budget cuts—said his boss told him not to report it at all and that the boss had sent letters to the mayor’s office.

NBC 10 tried to reach the EMT supervisor’s boss, but calls were not returned.

Edited by Dustdevil

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inexcuseable.

Should be fired.

Too lazy to perform infant CPR?

Not aware that a baby may have a better chance of being salvaged and not giving it the benefit of the doubt?

Why would a supervisor respond?

How many does to take to handle an infant CPR call?

Baby later died at the hospital?

How about this: A non viable infant, cop starts CPR because he can't think of anything else to do, medics arrive, recognize a non viable pt, cop and family have melt down, opt to transport....Just a possiblity. To suggest a patient need to be transported w/CPR until a doctor tells them to stop is retarded.

How about this: A non viable infant, cop starts CPR because he can't think of anything else to do, medics arrive, recognize a non viable pt, cop and family have melt down, opt to transport....Just a possiblity. To suggest a patient need to be transported w/CPR until a doctor tells them to stop is retarded.

Agreed. But they stood there with their thumbs up their ass. At least attempt CPR for the family and transport IMMEDIATELY. Once in the ambulance without family allowed to come with, call medical command for permission to stop CPR and call the code.

Agreed. But they stood there with their thumbs up their ass. At least attempt CPR for the family and transport IMMEDIATELY. Once in the ambulance without family allowed to come with, call medical command for permission to stop CPR and call the code.

So, you would "make believe" this was a viable patient and rush to the hospital? This could have been a crime scene for all we know. Transporting the deceased is not the function of EMS.

So, you would "make believe" this was a viable patient and rush to the hospital? This could have been a crime scene for all we know. Transporting the deceased is not the function of EMS.

I don't know all the facts about the situation. But in most cases, yes.. I would make believe for the sake of the family instead of doing nothing.

To suggest a patient need to be transported w/CPR until a doctor tells them to stop is retarded.

What does their protocol say about it? Did they -- as the article says -- disregard protocol by not starting CPR? Or does their protocol give them discretion in the matter? I am totally on board with the concept of field pronouncement, but not so much with disregarding protocol.

Mass is one of those "statewide protocol" states, isn't it?

I would at least check to see if the baby was viable and not just stand there. Then, I would either continue CPR or comfort the parents. As the medical person on scene, it would be your responsility to make some determination and then back up your decision with the proper actions and documentation.

I would at least check to see if the baby was viable and not just stand there. Then, I would either continue CPR or comfort the parents. As the medical person on scene, it would be your responsility to make some determination and then back up your decision with the proper actions and documentation.

Does "the baby later died" mean died in the hospital?

That tells me they should have worked the baby.

If no doubt the baby was DOA upon EMS arrival, they should have told the parents and not give them false hope by rushing the baby to the hospital - if they did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.