NJ EMS / Paramedics

No, you don't know this. Why don't you know this? Because it doesn't happen in NJ. You call a doc in a box who, chances are, you may never see no matter how many times you bring a patient into that hospital. They won't care if you have a clue or not.

You will call the doc on *every* patient with whom you come into contact. They will not care what you have to say. They will half heartedly listen to your mindless report then they will give you orders of what to do regardless of what you think is appropriate.

It doesn't matter what you know about overzealous volly squads in NY. They can't hold a candle to the ridiculousness that is NJ. Volly squads in NJ run NJEMS. The reason that NJEMS is the dysfunctional, and, at times, dangerous mess that it is can be traced directly back to volly EMS in NJ.

You'd have better chances of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning on the same day than you would being able to change anything about NJEMS or any one system in particular. The system is broken beyond repair. The vollies will not allow change. The state has no power, or will, or money to stand up to them. Change has been attempted by people far better than you or I. And it has failed and failed miserably.

The joke for a long time was that something would have to happen to a VIP for NJEMS to change. Well, the governor was almost killed when his State Trooper driver wrecked the vehicle in which he (the gov) was riding. There was a lot of fallout from that accident. Despite the fallout, nothing has changed. So bad things happening to even VIPs can't change anything.

I don't mean to burst your bubble. But you seriously have no idea just what you're getting yourself into. You're sitting there thinking, "It can't be *that* bad." And you're partially right. It's not that bad. It's so much worse than what you're thinking.

Your wife wants to move to NJ. I get it. Your trying to keep a positive attitude is admirable. But you really, honestly have no clue what kind of mess you're getting into.

If you insist on moving down there, I must caution you (aside from what's already been said). Another responder to this thread mentioned MONOC. YOU DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, WANT TO WORK FOR MONOC!!! The joke is that you can't spell MONOC without "O NO". There is a reason for this and unfortunately it's not a joke.

And like I said earlier. Pennsylvania's just a quick hop on the AC Expressway.

-be safe

wow...I take it you work or have worked in NJ...which company? ok let it out, I know you want to...what is so bad about MONOC?

I looked into Phili and it seems that a new hire medic at Phili fire start at a set amount regardless of experience and they don't pay all that well, either...

I am trying to keep a positive outlook on working in NJ and you are really scaring me. You were correct that I am thinking 'well, I know it is bad, but I can handle it'.

I am not truly being left with many options...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how good you and the people you work with are, an atmosphere like that will break your spirit quickly. The NJ medics I have known here on this forum all burned out or just plain hated it. But at least burnout assures that a job opens up ever now and then. You just gotta remember that you aren't likely to last any longer than the guy you replaced did.

No matter how good you and the people you work with are, an atmosphere like that will break your spirit quickly. The NJ medics I have known here on this forum all burned out or just plain hated it. But at least burnout assures that a job opens up ever now and then. You just gotta remember that you aren't likely to last any longer than the guy you replaced did.

If I start already burnt out, will that help............

UGH....

and the wife wants to stay within 1 hour of the great adventure area because that is where the family lives...so in that location anything outside the state of NJ would be one hell of a commute...

Edited by djmedic

If start already burnt out, will that help............

UGH....

and the wife wants to stay within 1 hour of the great adventure area because that is where the family lives...so in that location anything outside the state of NJ would be one hell of a commute...

Definition of compromise: A deal where both parties walk away feeling like they've just been fucked. It might be time to talk to the wife and let her know that working in NJ for you isn't an option, but that you're willing to move close enough that a regular drive to see family isn't a problem. Good luck.

I'm not going to comment on NJ as i have very limited experience. You may, however, consider Delaware and the following people:

http://nccde.org/ems/home/webpage1.asp

You couldn't wish to meet a better bunch of people and they are also not fire-based. The distance may be a little far to commute, depending on your location, but southern NJ is a stone's throw away.

WM

I'm not going to comment on NJ as i have very limited experience. You may, however, consider Delaware and the following people:

http://nccde.org/ems/home/webpage1.asp

You couldn't wish to meet a better bunch of people and they are also not fire-based. The distance may be a little far to commute, depending on your location, but southern NJ is a stone's throw away.

WM

do you work there?

per google maps it is only a 2hr drive from where my wife is looking

Hello, all, havent been here in a while,,,, As far as working as a medic in NJ, lets just say, I have worked with a ton a people from NJ ems units, and NONE of them were really happy with their job.

The fact that BLS units are run by volunteers, and still in the 21st century allowed to be called "First Aid Squads" should give you just a hint of how archaic the NJ EMS System is. Thats not to say I'm either anti NJ or Anti volunteer, but just talking to NJ medics, who sometimes have to wait for volunteers to respond, and do not have the means to remove a patient themsalves, and how the politics of volunteerism works, is just screwed up.

The fact that all ALS units MUST be hospital based, and that the hosptials sometimes look at profits when they deploy or cancel the medic units tours,, it is just a mess, check this site out and you'll find tons of horror stories...

safe tour good luck with your career move,.

I'll break it down for you and make it very simple.

1. New Jersey's EMS system sucks beyond belief. I could give you a list of whats wrong with it but EMTCity has limited bandwidth. The working conditions suck, the pay is not comparable to the cost of living, and yes, indeed, the place is run by Bubba and Larry the volunteer EMS chief/captain/commodore. There are positions such as "1st Sergeant and 2nd Sergeant" on the volunteer squads and, interestingly enough, there are people who take those positions oh so seriously. If you'd like to get a glimpse into the NJ-BLS mentality, go over to the NJ's EMS website, look up "disciplinary actions", then read the one about the NJ EMT who ransacked a patient's house looking for drugs, proclaimed himself an "officer", and ordered a police officer (a real one) to handcuff and arrest everyone. That's about it in a nutshell.

ON THE OTHER HAND

2. Its a recession. You can get a job there, and with a little luck and a lot of overtime, you can make ends meet, you do get health benefits and other perks, and that's more than a lot of people with a lot more qualifications than being paramedic can say in this economy. So if you can keep your head down, live simply, and avoid the bullshit, you can make ends meet until the job you really want comes along.

That's, I think, all you need to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.