NJ EMS / Paramedics

Is there a way I could get a copy of the NJ Paramedic protocols?

http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/regs.shtml

The standing orders are put out by the state as guidelines. Each "Project" medical control then decides what to allow the medics to do and OLMC options will vary.

How are medics usually deployed? Are you 911 only? Transfers only? a mix (scheduled 911 & transfer days, you start 911 but if a transfer comes in they pull you from rotation, etc)?

This will depend on where you work. Some are posted on street assignments usually in the urbam areas and others have quarters to station at. From what I know, you are either 911 or critical care transport. NJ runs dual medics for 911 and 1 medic/1 emt or 1 emt and 1 RN for CC.

Do you know what starting average pay is NJ?

Pay ranges I have seen are between $18.00 and $28.00

Is there a union?

This will also depend on where you work. From what I know there are 2 that have unions (IAFF). One being MONOC, who covers Jackson/egg harbor. But to date still no working contract, since the union decided to file job actions instead of solidifying a contract.

How are the benefits?

Still will depend on your employer.

My wife seems interested in the Jackson, Egg Harbor and surrounding areas for us to live...any suggestions on companies to approach?

MONOC.org is that areas coverage. But other NJ medic projects pay better and supposedly have a better work environment. I just cant speak for other agencies.

how busy is it? Is there a lot of violence? More trauma? More medical? or about equal?

Like other posters mentioned, this will vary and depend on your area. I found most of the time to be pretty busy.

I have worked in an urban setting for quite some time. I apologize for the ton of questions, but trying to as much info as I can before I plunge head first.

To get a medic card in NJ you must be sponsored by one of the providers. Then they send your info, training and experience to the state who then decides if you meet NJ requirements for reciprocity. If you dont, then most likely the sponsor will arrange for you to get the needed or missing training. Depending on the sponsor, this can be paid or at your expense.

If coming from another ems system, I think you may find NJ a shock to how they do things.

Hope this helps.

Jim

PS - Sorry I couldnt figure out how to get the "quote" thing working. :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for being ignorant. What's wrong with NJ Medics?

Sorry for being ignorant, but who said there was anything wrong with NJ medics? :huh:

When Diazepam said don't go to jersey I thought he might mean it's not a good place to work.

Ah, okay. Well, he's right about that. It's among the worst places for EMS in the country, and many would argue that it is the worst. Underfunded. Overregulated. Very few jobs. Even fewer employers. Not a single accredited school in the entire state. Shall I continue?

Edited by Dustdevil

Ah, okay. Well, he's right about that. It's among the worst places for EMS in the country, and many would argue that it is the worst. Underfunded. Overregulated. Very few jobs. Even fewer employers. Not a single accredited school in the entire state. Shall I continue?

Actually yes. please continue. Do you work in the state? Do you have 1st hand knowledge of this? If not, how did you learn of this?

Actually yes. please continue. Do you work in the state? Do you have 1st hand knowledge of this? If not, how did you learn of this?

We've got this great forum where people from all over the world discuss EMS and we tend to learn from them. ;) Heck I'm not in the same country and I know NJ EMS is broken. Main points that come to mind are that NJ is a volunteer dominated system where just about every rural "First Aid Squad" has an Ambulance and some undertrained, over adrenalined firsr aiders playing at pre-hospital medicine. ALS is few and far betweeen.

We've got this great forum where people from all over the world discuss EMS and we tend to learn from them. ;) Heck I'm not in the same country and I know NJ EMS is broken. Main points that come to mind are that NJ is a volunteer dominated system where just about every rural "First Aid Squad" has an Ambulance and some undertrained, over adrenalined firsr aiders playing at pre-hospital medicine. ALS is few and far betweeen.

Oh yeah...that I know...I also the protocols are very limiting...

I am in a progressive (well, it feels progressive after working in Buffalo, NY) system. the only thing I need to call med-control for is RSI. It is a VERY nice feeling know I can treat my patients appropriately with out having to argue with an ER doc. But I also know that starting out in NJ will be mother may I but as time goes on and the ER docs realize I actually have a clue then it won't so bad at that point.

I know about the volly squads and their over zealousness. I understand how that works coz in the suburbs of Buffalo they all have ambulances so I have dealt that mentality before...it gets really tough biting your tongue at times...lol

I will admit, I would also like to try to improve the system there...or at least help to try...I am not a 1 man show by any means...lol...

But I also know that starting out in NJ will be mother may I but as time goes on and the ER docs realize I actually have a clue then it won't so bad at that point.

No, you don't know this. Why don't you know this? Because it doesn't happen in NJ. You call a doc in a box who, chances are, you may never see no matter how many times you bring a patient into that hospital. They won't care if you have a clue or not.

You will call the doc on *every* patient with whom you come into contact. They will not care what you have to say. They will half heartedly listen to your mindless report then they will give you orders of what to do regardless of what you think is appropriate.

I know about the volly squads and their over zealousness. I understand how that works coz in the suburbs of Buffalo they all have ambulances so I have dealt that mentality before...it gets really tough biting your tongue at times...lol

It doesn't matter what you know about overzealous volly squads in NY. They can't hold a candle to the ridiculousness that is NJ. Volly squads in NJ run NJEMS. The reason that NJEMS is the dysfunctional, and, at times, dangerous mess that it is can be traced directly back to volly EMS in NJ.

I will admit, I would also like to try to improve the system there...or at least help to try...I am not a 1 man show by any means...lol...

You'd have better chances of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning on the same day than you would being able to change anything about NJEMS or any one system in particular. The system is broken beyond repair. The vollies will not allow change. The state has no power, or will, or money to stand up to them. Change has been attempted by people far better than you or I. And it has failed and failed miserably.

The joke for a long time was that something would have to happen to a VIP for NJEMS to change. Well, the governor was almost killed when his State Trooper driver wrecked the vehicle in which he (the gov) was riding. There was a lot of fallout from that accident. Despite the fallout, nothing has changed. So bad things happening to even VIPs can't change anything.

I don't mean to burst your bubble. But you seriously have no idea just what you're getting yourself into. You're sitting there thinking, "It can't be *that* bad." And you're partially right. It's not that bad. It's so much worse than what you're thinking.

Your wife wants to move to NJ. I get it. Your trying to keep a positive attitude is admirable. But you really, honestly have no clue what kind of mess you're getting into.

If you insist on moving down there, I must caution you (aside from what's already been said). Another responder to this thread mentioned MONOC. YOU DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, WANT TO WORK FOR MONOC!!! The joke is that you can't spell MONOC without "O NO". There is a reason for this and unfortunately it's not a joke.

And like I said earlier. Pennsylvania's just a quick hop on the AC Expressway.

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.