Tips for memorizing 2 protocol sets

Actually they can vary greatly. My service allows many procedures and lots more drugs and way different dosages on some than the next service one county over. If I went to work for them I would be in danger of practicing medicine w/o a license by exceeding protocols.

Wow, that really blows :(

Make your own personal copy of both if you do not have a palm or phone that will allow you to store the text and keep them with you until you have them memorized. Doctors use all kinds of books and reference material, no reason you cant keep some on your truck. Of course it may not be comforting for your patient to see you using a book for reference.

Sonoma and Solano county in CA although I'm still in the hiring process in Solano. I hear you that they are usually similair but I'm finding some differences. The trauma triage schemes are fairly different as one county seems to prefer over triage while the other wants to avoid it discounting co morbid and mechanism (the same county also requires base contact for non obvious activations)

One county treats a BS under 80 the other under 60

One county also defines 3 different pt presentations for narrow tach with a different set of cardio version energy settings.

I'm just going toget to know both verbatim and then sort out the key differences so I'm acutely aware of them.

I'm sure this works out fine usually just so dering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks again!

Put the protocols side by side and talk about the differences. Try to figure out by what you know about the MD and the area (transport times, available hospitals, where the MD trained or worked) to figure out how those protocols were derived. There may be some logic behind them that will help you to remember better. As you know from the headlines, some protocols are written to fit the abilities of the Paramedics. Some reflect the aggressiveness of the EMS system.

(sidenote: this is why I wanted Diazepam618 to post his protocols. Sometimes I read protocols from other areas as it tells me alot about the system and sometimes it is just for entertainment.

I sometimes have to stop, as spenac mentioned in his post, to remind myself that I am on the West coast. Again, when I am back on the East coast I have to get back into being in a more aggressive healthcare environment. I can also look at some orders written by doctors and tell almost exactly when and where that doctor trained.

There is also nothing wrong with referring to the protocols or notes you have made.