How old is too old in EMS

My only attempt at humor was at someones call volume not at anyone individual

Fail Again.

Halls with lower than 365 calls per truck per year have been evaluated as to have higher stress levels for providers than a Hall with 3500 calls per year per truck. The study was done in NYC about 15 years ago and sorry, I don't have the link but if challenged I will find it quoted in many JEMS article's.

Besides high/ low call volume is not related to quality of calls ie One Long distance Stiff Wing Medivac in ugly weather over 12 hours period to a remote station with a complex medical ventilated patient by FAR trumps 6 granny transfer, well just in my books.

ps For SALE Cheap, one pedal bike.

This site is getting full of whiny cry baby politically correct people.

A- If the politically correct people is directed toward myself, well this is the first time I have EVER been accused of that ... hey thanks spenac, can I put that on my CV ?

B- OR it could be just some grumpy old buggers that hate assumptions and wanting to pin back a few "wet behind the ears types" that are too foolish to stop posting BS ?

I pick "B" .... ;)

cheers

AWWWW BullSh!t, Would you seriously want a 70-80 year old partner?

Every night I would come into work, look at the board and say that I WAS BY MYSELF TONGHT.

As long as they were physically fit able to carry their weight on the back of that truck damn straight I would. Some of the older people on the squad are much better at lifting and driving than the young bucks fresh out of school here. So yeah as long as they can do the job I would have no problem with that.

AWWWW BullSh!t, Would you seriously want a 70-80 year old partner?

Every night I would come into work, look at the board and say that I WAS BY MYSELF TONGHT.

One of my crew turns 65 this year and still has the best driving record on staff. One of my part time EMTs will be 68. She may not be all that great at lifting a 300 pound drunken drug overdose out of the house, but she's quite capable of transferring granny with the broken hip. Yes, we can pick and choose which calls are assigned to which crew.

Fail Again.

Halls with lower than 365 calls per truck per year have been evaluated as to have higher stress levels for providers than a Hall with 3500 calls per year per truck. The study was done in NYC about 15 years ago and sorry, I don't have the link but if challenged I will find it quoted in many JEMS article's.

Besides high/ low call volume is not related to quality of calls ie One Long distance Stiff Wing Medivac in ugly weather over 12 hours period to a remote station with a complex medical ventilated patient by FAR trumps 6 granny transfer, well just in my books.

ps For SALE Cheap, one pedal bike.

Not trying to "challenge you" but would love to see the link.

One of my crew turns 65 this year and still has the best driving record on staff. One of my part time EMTs will be 68. She may not be all that great at lifting a 300 pound drunken drug overdose out of the house, but she's quite capable of transferring granny with the broken hip. Yes, we can pick and choose which calls are assigned to which crew.

Must be nice to be able to choose who goes to what call but what happens when dispatch gets it wrong? What happens when the hip fx is on an 300 lbs grandmother? You must delay patient care to get another crew to assist?

'tskstorm' date='May 26 2009, 07:59 AM' post='215825']

Ah from the new hand me everything generation ... not this time go phish.

ps does it sound as if this is not a plausible study ?

But sorry too busy doing my PALs update for the 18th year ... I wonder if I will manage to pass ?

Must be nice to be able to choose who goes to what call but what happens when dispatch gets it wrong? What happens when the hip fx is on an 300 lbs grandmother? You must delay patient care to get another crew to assist?

The answer to your query tskstorm, its already on the page.

Yes, we can pick and choose which calls are assigned to which crew.

In a well intelligently managed service there is always a back up plan for assistance, heck Acadian in LA its policy when to avoid injuries to EMS workers. Then there's all the hose monkeys and bucket fairies and hired for brawn not brains ... I don't think I would want to work for a service that you can't call for back up instead of breaking your back ?

I worked with 3 partners older than 65 one 68, all could lift better than myself and had more life experience, it was a pleasure not having to be "team leader" every day.

G. Burnell (ran 5 kms a day)

C. Jones (could bench press more than me)

R. Risdall (was a black belt 10th Dan)

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I didn't say she was incapable of the task, just not all that great at it. Besides, electric cots are a wonderful thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.