qualities of a good preceptor/FTO

What are some of the qualities you've noticed make good preceptors or FTOs (whatever you call them where you work)? Have you had an especially good or bad preceptor before? What was it about the experience that made it good or bad? What advice would you give to a new preceptor?

(btw I'm talking about both preceptors as those who train new paramedics, as well as those who train new employees)

Maturity, knowledge, experience, understanding, patient. Pushes you to get your hands dirty and into things. Shadows your work, but steps in when needed in a tactful manner. Doesn't make you look like an ass. Helps you understand what you don't. Doesn't let you sit back and watch tv at the station, they make you study or go over stuff with you... stuff like that.

What are some of the qualities you've noticed make good preceptors or FTOs (whatever you call them where you work)? Have you had an especially good or bad preceptor before? What was it about the experience that made it good or bad? What advice would you give to a new preceptor?

(btw I'm talking about both preceptors as those who train new paramedics, as well as those who train new employees)

Experience is number one for a preceptor, IMHO. Someone who is well respected by their peers, has a good educational background, a good skill set, patience, and training as a teacher would be a plus, but not necessary. Being able to select someone based on a consensus of fellow providers would be a good thing, if possible. Being able to listen is also vital. I've told every one of my students that I can also learn from them- new attitudes, a new way of looking at a problem, an alternate solution, etc. They usually look at me strangely, but I always tell them you are never too "old" or too "experienced" to learn. I also preface that comment by saying that there will also be times they need to listen and not immediately question- there will be time later for that.

The worst preceptors are the ones who let their personal issues cloud their teaching. Displaying a poor attitude or personal biases, exhibiting poor patient care, improper shortcuts, etc. We've all seen them, and wonder who let them become a teacher of new providers.

Edited by HERBIE1

Just a short little quip here for you all to chew on, The company I work for is quite large, and almost every unit in the company approximately 30 9-1-1 units in the 5 boroughs precept students. Most of these units precept students ALS and BLS units. Some more than others, there is no preceptors trained or chosen, whoever works the unit that day is the preceptor for that student. On the flip side for FTO's they go through company training and new hires to the company must be trained with FTO's ...

Edited by tskstorm

Desire to help a new trainee succeed, rather than show how much you know.

Being open to different people's learning styles or just general work styles and letting them develop their own way, while still making sure they can get work done and multi-task (this is mainly for the head in clouds personalities).

Listens to questions and tries to understand where trainee is coming from, rather than just correcting them. Willing to put in that extra time. If he's having trouble mapping, re-telling him how to map doesn't help much, rather having him walk you through how he does it to find what he's doing wrong in his head.

Knows a lot not only about pre-hospital medicine, but about the company. Knows how to be a model employee, as well as a good healthcare provider.

Isn't too easy on them and expects a lot, but not so 'chill' that the new employee comes out mediocre.

Desire to help a new trainee succeed, rather than show how much you know.

Being open to different people's learning styles or just general work styles and letting them develop their own way, while still making sure they can get work done and multi-task (this is mainly for the head in clouds personalities).

Listens to questions and tries to understand where trainee is coming from, rather than just correcting them. Willing to put in that extra time. If he's having trouble mapping, re-telling him how to map doesn't help much, rather having him walk you through how he does it to find what he's doing wrong in his head.

Knows a lot not only about pre-hospital medicine, but about the company. Knows how to be a model employee, as well as a good healthcare provider.

Isn't too easy on them and expects a lot, but not so 'chill' that the new employee comes out mediocre.

\

Good point about the organization. Navigating the politics of an organization, understanding how things work, how to get things done, how to be a good coworker, and your place in that organization. All as important as providing health care instruction.

Most important - patience, and lots of it. They have to be willing to deal with a multitude of attitudes, learning styles, and backgrounds. A good preceptor should be able to adapt how they teach and deal with the students/new employees based on how the person reacts. Some require a gentle hand, others require you to be quite firm. Someone who definitely doesn't think they know it all and is motivated to learn something new every day and takes in what the student has to say. I've precepted both new employees and also students and I have to say, I've had a few show me some great things I hadn't thought of. I look at it as an opportunity for us both to learn. I love it also because it forces me to keep my skills sharp and not slack. I had some excellent preceptors during my time and I think quite a bit of many of them. I can really say I only had two bad ones, and then I don't think it was so much them as a medic, it was more a personality clash between us. No harm done though. Also confidence in their own abilities and above all tact in dealing with situations that may arise with the student. Being available to answer the multitude of questions and really examine calls with the student are also important factors. Too bad we don't have more out there like that. We sure could use them.

• 4 weeks later...

First and foremost, a good preceptor / FTO is someone who wants to be one, not who was told to be one.

IMO, a good FTO program links a candidate / probationary employee / student with a set FTO allowing a relationship to be established. This allows the FTO to make an investment and then see the reward. Second, I feel a good FTO program has an established agenda while allowing for flexibility based upon the person being FTO'd.

I promise I am not shamelessly plugging the agency I work for; the Memphis Fire Dept. began a new FTO program about two years ago. It really has worked well to weed out some bad apples as well as enhance the abilites and confidence of some folks "on the fence". If you want more information, send me an email benbindokas52@yahoo.com.

Back to your original question, above all a good FTO must take great pride in his profession, delivery of his/her skill set, be of sound moral standing, and be able to identify when to let a candiate learn from his own mistakes vs. step in when warranted.

Edited by MontvilleFire39