Chest pain

Hope I link these ECG's properly... sorry bout the quality, scanner quit.

Called for a 62 y/o male, with chest pain and a headache

On arrival: Patient found supine in bed in obvious distress. Patient is clutching chest and breathing rapidly.

Patient reports sudden onset SOB, chest pain, palpitations while watching T.V..

Took 2 sprays of own nitro with no relief. Got dizzy, headache and layed down.

Patient appears appropriate for age, history of NIDDM, and is a retired autobody worker. Non smoker, lives a healthy lifestyle in a well kept home. Angioplasty 2 mos ago, no angina pains since. No Hx of CVA, MI, or Resp illness.

Patient presents pale & diaphorretic, Resps 26 non-laboured, BP 100/62 Pulse 68 irreg at radial. Patient sts irreg pulse is new. SpO2 95%.

Meds: Beta blocker, calcium channel blocker recently removed from regimine, Nitro PRN, Lipitor, Metformin. (I think that was it)

You are about 20 min from a rural hospital

Any questions... Just ask!

101_2762.jpg

101_2763.jpg

101_2764.jpg

New onset AF.

Management other than the usual ABCs is going to be rate control, while keeping an eye on the BP. Positioning, fluids, and slow IVP of your B-blocker / Ca++ channel blocker of choice is a start.

New onset AF yes, icomplete left bundle branch. curious as to which vessels got plastied and with what sort of stent, BMS or DES. It was plastied right not just angiograph?

Scotty

New onset AF yes, icomplete left bundle branch. curious as to which vessels got plastied and with what sort of stent, BMS or DES. It was plastied right not just angiograph?

Scotty

definatly plastied

I dunno what the difference in the two are so I did not ask LOL

He said the stent went in the Left side.... sorry that's all I got

slow IVP of your B-blocker / Ca++ channel blocker of choice is a start.

Hmmm.... B-Blocker and Ca blocker together?

BTW: 1st year medic student, still learning.

Edited by mobey

Hmmm.... B-Blocker and Ca blocker together?

Nope. Either one, depending on what you carry, hence the "/" (either, or)

So, is this what you did?

Edited by scott33

Sounds like an LAD stenting, wouldnt be surprised with some pain later on afterwards or even a stent moving. But it seems like new onset af which is causing the issues for him personally.

Nope. Either one, depending on what you carry, hence the "/" (either, or)

So, is this what you did?

Hahaha... sorry... a little computer illiterate!

Naa, I am working BLS.

I did O2, IV NaCl 250ml bolus, 160mg ASA. It slowed the rate down and the chest pain faded so I was satisfied.

Although if I was working ALS I probably would have went down the Amiodarone route... maybe (student), Perhaps even considered a quick electrical cardioversion.

Edited by mobey

Hahaha... sorry... a little computer illiterate!

Naa, I am working BLS.

I did O2, IV NaCl 250ml bolus, 160mg ASA. It slowed the rate down and the chest pain faded so I was satisfied.

Although if I was working ALS I probably would have went down the Amiodarone route... maybe (student), Perhaps even considered a quick electrical cardioversion.

Its down to if he is symptomatic, I would have held fire on the DCCV route and gone with pharmaco first if he was unstable then yes the lunchbox of life would be great though. :)

Good thinking on the whole though Mobey :)

Scotty

That's actually not an incomplete LBBB. Note that the axis is around 60 degrees*. If you have a normal axis, you lack a hemifasicular block. Since LBBB is a block of both the left fasicles, you should be able to identify at least a single fasicular block to call it incomplete LBBB. Normal vectors, and R wave progression. That width you are seeing is probably due to early repol. Note notched J point most visible in V5(looks similar to osborn wave).

*You can figure this out by considering aVL to be perpendicular to axis of depolarization because it is the most equiphasic lead(not predominately positive or negative. Since lead 2 is perpendicular to aVL than your axis is almost in line to lead 2. Since lead 2 is positive, and the positive electrode for lead 2 lies at about 60 degrees....abracadabra. If you already knew this, disregard.

Edited by FL_Medic

That's actually not an incomplete LBBB. Note that the axis is around 60 degrees*. If you have a normal axis, you lack a hemifasicular block. Since LBBB is a block of both the left fasicles, you should be able to identify at least a single fasicular block to call it incomplete LBBB. Normal vectors, and R wave progression. That width you are seeing is probably due to early repol. Note notched J point most visible in V5(looks similar to osborn wave).

*You can figure this out by considering aVL to be perpendicular to axis of depolarization because it is the most equiphasic lead(not predominately positive or negative. Since lead 2 is perpendicular to aVL than your axis is almost in line to lead 2. Since lead 2 is positive, and the positive electrode for lead 2 lies at about 60 degrees....abracadabra. If you already knew this, disregard.

*Looks with a fresh set of eyes and more coffee on board*

:) Thanks FL :)