Fork in the road

Hey all,

I've been a member on here for quite some time, mainly lurking and reading (and sometimes learning!). However, I need some advice.

I've been an EMT-B for about 2 years and work both 911 and private service part time, and I am also a full-time student (sophomore) at a University where I'm studying Respiratory Therapy. I know that I am meant to have a job in the Healthcare profession, doing what exactly, I don't know. I am strong in A&P and the "biology" type classes, however chemistry is kicking my butt! I took general chemistry once, and failed. I took general chemistry twice, and failed. This is the only thing that is holding me back from getting into the Respiratory Therapy program. However, because I failed general chemistry twice, I cannot take it a third time and expect admission to the program.

I'm starting to think that well maybe I'm not supposed to be a RT.

There really isn't anything else at this University that even slightly interests me academic wise, so I'm considering transferring out to a community college paramedic program (It is accredited). I would obtain a A.A.S in Emergency Medical Technology.

In a perfect, "dream-world", my ideal career would to be a flight paramedic with the State Police.

There is also a 4-year University near me that offers a B.S in Emergency Health Management.

My question for you all is this:

If you were in my shoes, which option would you chose? Would you try to get into the 4 year program? Or would you go for the A.A.S degree?

And finally, as an employer, would having a B.S as opposed to an A.A.S be a big deciding factor in hiring an individual?

Thanks everyone, this is such a stressful time for me and any bit of advice is appreciated :)

Here are my suggestions:

1. Figure out why you can't pass chemistry, is it you or the teacher ? If it is you, you need to fix that as Chemistry is not the only hard class you will encounter going forward. If it is the teacher, take it at another college or online, and get credit for it that way.

2. Do a little investigating to see if you really like either of these professions. Go to a small rural hospital and see if you can tag along with an RT for a little while (bigger hospitals may not allow this). If you can not, atleast go talk to some RTs/Nurses/ Rad Techs/Whoever. Same for EMS, go third-ride on an ambulance for a few shifts, or atleast visit with your local medics. Since you mentioned flight medic, you should probably spend some time with them too.

3. You can get all the degrees you want, but you are not getting on any helicopter ambulance until you have some field experience. So you really need to do Step 2, and figure out if it is worth the years in school and years in the field it will take to get your dream job. If flight medic is your goal, than you will also need to take a critical care medic course at some point.

Normally I'd say finish what you started, you've come this far. It's what I did when I realized 75% through a BA that I didn't actually want to be a lawyer. But I'd invested too much of my life to quit, and quittings not really somethjng I try to do anyway. So I finished.

That said, if finishing doesn't seem to be an option (ie checm class), I think I'd have to seriously re-evaluate things. The definition of insanity, after all, is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

I completely understand the situation you are in. The advice I can offer you, is similar to the others. You need to figure out why you aren't passing Chemistry. I'm in Maryland as well and can offer advice on some community colleges in the area who have strong science departments, and maybe taking it over the summer you may have more luck passing. Howard Community College has an A.A.S. program which I have recently looked into. You will need chemistry for that program though. Frederick also has a program but I am unaware of their programs. Montgomery College is working on getting a Paramedic program, but from my understanding, it won't happen by this fall. I can give you some contact numbers of people to call if you would like. UMBC's program, I can not speak to as I have my own opinion which I am sure is uniquely different, but it is worth checking them out. Let me know if I can help out at all.

K

...I'm studying Respiratory Therapy. I know that I am meant to have a job in the Healthcare profession, doing what exactly, I don't know. I am strong in A&P and the "biology" type classes, however chemistry is kicking my butt! I took general chemistry once, and failed.

If you were in my shoes, which option would you chose?...

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on your path.

As others have commented, think hard about where the difficulties come from in regards to Chemistry. Also , consider you are sabotaging yourself now due to previous failures.

Is Organic Chemistry an option? If you have had A & P & biology courses, you probably have met the pre- reqs for it. I will bet you will find this more interesting, and have more success in studying it. It relates more directly to health care then general Chemistry.

Just a thought. Best of luck to you, don't give up.

Thanks everyone!

Crotchity, I think that the problem is with me, and with the teacher. The way it worked out, I ended up taking the same teacher both times because he was the only one who taught it during that semester. However, I know that there is a serious disconnect between me and chemistry. Its just one of those things that just doesn't "click". Also, the way the University works is that you can't attempt to take a class here, and then take it somewhere else. You won't receive credit. You attempt it here, you have to complete it here.

I think that this summer I am going to shadow an RT at the hospital, I also have been talking to the paramedics I know. I have flown with the Medevac team once before for a shift and it was the most fun/interesting experience I've ever had.

Kate, I'm on the eastern shore right now and the 2 school I'm looking at are CCBC Essex, and UMBC.

I still have a lot of "soul searching" to do and I'll keep ya'll updated on the situation.

I think that as of right now, I'm going to to continue at my current school to finish out my prereqs and then make a decision on transferring sometime in the Fall.

Thanks so much guys!

In a perfect, "dream-world", my ideal career would to be a flight paramedic with the State Police.

Considering the way things are going for that system, you might want to rethink that especially if you like the medical profession.

I don't know how far you are from this team but give them a call for a little inspiration.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Advanced Response Team

http://www.dhmc.org/webpage.cfm?site_id=2&...mp;item_id=1868