Driving over the speed limit

Weaving in and out of traffic is dangerous regardless of speed. Therefore it can't be used as an argument that speed, in itself, is dangerous.

Somantics somantics.....Well, we could get into an argument about the degrees of danger ..but its irrelevant.

My point wasnt based soley on DANGER (in fact very little of it was) but on PRACTICALITY, something most on here havent touched on. Simply put, going too fast while doing the other parts of the transport that are inherrant to typical code 3 driving on surface roads, is counter productve to doing anything in the back effectiviely, well anything excpet cussing the driver that is.

This MUST be emphasised in training. You tell someone something is dangerous or not safe, well..in some it actually encourages pushing the limit. Not saying it isnt imprtant, cuz' damn right it is.

But IMHO your far more likely to effect behavior if you also emphasize the practical aspects of it...

And of course follow up with ongoing training and evaluation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In New Zealand, our laws state that emergency service vehicles are exempt speed limits (ie: they can go any speed). Most services however, have a policy stating that drivers can not exceed the speed limit by more than 30km/h. This means that if the ambulance is snapped by a speed camera and is going over 30km/h then the driver gets sent the fine.

In New Zealand, our laws state that emergency service vehicles are exempt speed limits (ie: they can go any speed). Most services however, have a policy stating that drivers can not exceed the speed limit by more than 30km/h. This means that if the ambulance is snapped by a speed camera and is going over 30km/h then the driver gets sent the fine.

Where does that fine come from if the law does not have a max speed limit? You would be paying a fine for something that was not illegal.

Where does that fine come from if the law does not have a max speed limit? You would be paying a fine for something that was not illegal.

I should have been more precise. The law only applies during Priority 1 responses (lights and sirens) and states that drivers have a defence, rather than a blanket exemption. All ambulances caught by speed cameras are issued with fines, which get sent to the ambulance service to which the vehicle is registered. That ambulance service then checks whether the vehicle was on a P1 response, and if so the service then sends a letter to the Police Infringement Department (or whatever the name is) advising them of this and the fine is dropped. However, if the fine is for a speed which exceeds the speed limit by more than 30km/h then the service will find out who was driving and forward the fine to them and the service will refuse to apply for the fine to be dropped under the internal policy of not exceeding the speed limit by 30km/h.

I should have been more precise. The law only applies during Priority 1 responses (lights and sirens) and states that drivers have a defence, rather than a blanket exemption. All ambulances caught by speed cameras are issued with fines, which get sent to the ambulance service to which the vehicle is registered. That ambulance service then checks whether the vehicle was on a P1 response, and if so the service then sends a letter to the Police Infringement Department (or whatever the name is) advising them of this and the fine is dropped. However, if the fine is for a speed which exceeds the speed limit by more than 30km/h then the service will find out who was driving and forward the fine to them and the service will refuse to apply for the fine to be dropped under the internal policy of not exceeding the speed limit by 30km/h.

Wouldn't the drivers still have the ability to challenge the fine in court, including the ability to call evidence in their support, such as the call log showing them on a priority response?

Wouldn't the drivers still have the ability to challenge the fine in court, including the ability to call evidence in their support, such as the call log showing them on a priority response?

They would. But the service would refuse to back them up and say that the driver was well aware of the 30km/h max overspeed limit in place. I've heard of such cases happening and the driver ended up paying the fine. Whether that was through being ordered by the court or just if they paid it to not go through the fuss of legal proceedings I can't be sure.

They would. But the service would refuse to back them up and say that the driver was well aware of the 30km/h max overspeed limit in place. I've heard of such cases happening and the driver ended up paying the fine. Whether that was through being ordered by the court or just if they paid it to not go through the fuss of legal proceedings I can't be sure.

Honestly, i believe that setting an arbitrary speed permissible above the posted speed limit is dangerous an stupid. So they can go 30 mph over the posted limit. That means 55mph through a school zone posted for 25 or 95 mph on a highway posted for 65. Those are crazy speeds for an ambulance to operate at. Dangerous and stupid.

Our ambulances are permitted a maximum 25% above the posted limit. Thus at 40 mph we can do 50, at 60 mph we can do 75. It makes far more sense to have a more fluid speed adjustment rather than an arbitrary number that would result in ludicrous speeds.

I sure hope I'm never in an ambulance doing 55 in a 25 zone, either as a patient or a medic.

As far as those who think it's fine to "go with the flow" Here are my thoughts. If I am speeding and "going with the flow" people have the right to complain that my speed was too fast. If I follow the posted speed limit, people are not able to complain about the speed I am traveling. For once, try not to think about your "type A" personalities and that you have the right to go as fast as you can. Think about how others perceive you. Would you like them to think of you as a crazy, unprofessional, mad max driver or a courteous vehicle operator who does not risk the lives of others as he is attempting to save one?

Edited by Arctickat

Here we go 25km over the limit on a code 3 only if road conditions permit. I as the attendent have told my driver to slow down. One thing we have done in the past is make everyone lay on the cot and be driven around town so that you can see how it feels. That made alot of drivers become aware of what it is like for a patient laying on a cot grabbing for the sissy bar to hold on. It really dosn't pay to go over your limits as in reality you are not getting there any faster. My personal reason for lights and sirens is just to get people out of my way it dosn't mean I have to go like a bat out hell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.