Driving over the speed limit

Good afternoon all

I have had the pleasure of several ambulance rides in the past months where the driver either emergent or non-emergent drove well over the posted speed limit.

I have spoken up yet apparantly this does not work.

I know the reasons behind this phenomenon but I was wondering what you all thought the reasoning behind this fast driving is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree

I think its just because they can ..

I know on the rare occasion I'm pulled over I make sure to mention I work EMS in the city ... Usually results in a warning instead of whatever I did that was questionable lol ..

Good afternoon all

I have had the pleasure of several ambulance rides in the past months where the driver either emergent or non-emergent drove well over the posted speed limit.

I have spoken up yet apparantly this does not work.

I know the reasons behind this phenomenon but I was wondering what you all thought the reasoning behind this fast driving is.

Its not just in the ambulance. I drive "fast" all the time. Our posted speed limit on the highways is 65, in general I keep my speed between 75 and 80 when driving my personal vehicle. I drive considerably slower in the ambulance, but that probably has a lot to do with the computerized system we have that records such indiscretions....

Whats the big deal? Are you actually turning your coworkers in for driving over the posted speed limit?

There are speed limits for a reason. Sure, you MAY be a good driver. But what about the asshat next to you not paying attention talking on their cell phone? It's your responsibility to drive safely. Driving over the speed limit not only increases the MOI to yourself, it also puts others in danger on the road.

If you want to drive fast, go to the race track and do a track day.

driving should be a taught skill just like EMT work. Do most of the operators know the braking distance on the particular piece of equipment they are driving and have they ever looked at the roll over potential of a box ambulance at higher speeds. a well planned driving course by a competent instructor is a good place to start and if people still feel lights and sirens is an excuse to endanger the public they are there to help put a governor on there rig. You can drive your POV any way you want but when you get in a company rig you drive by there rules or quit.

In no particular order:

1. Inadequate education and training

2. Inadequate supervision

3. Managerial incompetence

4. Inadequate resource allocation

5. Immaturity

Edited by Dustdevil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.