fiznat

What do you do?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Continue transporting, alert dispatch + PD
    • Stop, assess occupants of other vehicle, radio and wait for help
    • Stop, leave partner on scene, transport patient in PD cruiser
    • Load occupants of other vehicle in your ambulance, continue transporting

Whether it is right or wrong, this did happen to me, while i was bagging a respiratory arrest patient. My partner crashed into another vehicle about 1.5 miles from the hospital:

She checked on the other driver who was uninjured, and then asked me what to do. I told her to tell the woman we had a critical patient, and that we needed to get on to the hospital. I told her to let dispatch know to send PD, the white shirts, and a wrecker to the scene. We transported the patient to the ER, and then my partner immediately drove back to the scene to do that paperwork, while I was doing mine.

I am sure I broke many rules, but i didnt get written up; my explanation to the white shirts: no one was going to die if we left the scene, one person may have died had we been delayed. Had I been 20 miles from the hospital, it might have been different, but being a mile or so away made it a no-brainer

Key here for me is PD is already on scene. I'm asking their permission to leave, letting them know I have a critical patient in the back. Now, I expect them to say "Go!" but if I don't have their permission I'm not going anywhere.

Just what I would do.

1. Advise dispatch that I was involved in MVC, and will need another unit to continue transport.

2. Assess the scene and advise if additional resources are needed.

3. I would not make any statements that could be construed as admission of guilt, thats PD's Job

4. Treat patients according to mechnism (which is low in this case) and chief complain.

5. Provide pertinent information to incoming units.

6. Transfer the most critical patient ( in this scenario the one inside the ambulance).

7. If no one wants to be transported, have the patients sign AMA or release at scene.

If they want to be evaluated, prepare patient for transport once additional unit arrives.

8. Stay onscene while PD does their investigation.

9. Do whatever company policy states. (i.e. Written statement, wee wee test ect)

10. Enjoy the rest of the night cuz its down hill from there.

Reguardless of what condition the patient is in, you were invloved in a MVC. According to the law no matter what PD says you are bound by DOT/ State regulations to stop and request additional rescources. You leave the scene, you are liable and will more then likely be charged with leaving the scene. 1-800-Ask-Gary lawyers will have a hay day with you and your stunt.

And most of all, it's not your emergency. Understand that you not only have a responsibility to your current patient, you also now have an obligation to the public. Yes, you are dealing with a critical patient, but ultimately isn't that what you want to deal with? Is it not a lot better then dealing with a priority 3 stubbed toe? Even if it is a respiratory arrest patient, learn to use your skills and rely on them. You adapt, change, and overcome. You make the best of it and move on.

Reguardless of what condition the patient is in, you were invloved in a MVC. According to the law no matter what PD says you are bound by DOT/ State regulations to stop and request additional rescources. You leave the scene, you are liable and will more then likely be charged with leaving the scene. 1-800-Ask-Gary lawyers will have a hay day with you and your stunt.

If 1-800-ask-gary think they can convince a jury that the MVC paperwork was more important than your crumping patient who could be one of the jurors someday, I say go fish.

Trust me, if it meant making a dollar or not, that Lawyer will try every stop and trick in the book to throw at you. Anyone or anything can become unpredictable when money is behind it.

Ignorance is bliss. And, of course, the scenario says there are no injuries.

I missed the part about "no injuries" - all I noted was just a quick look around while still sitting behind the wheel of the vehicle, that doesn't tell you much. It's one of those things where your damned either way, you don't want to delay the transport of your "critical patient" but at the same time you have an accident that you were involved in that may very well have injuries, until you find out otherwise...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.