Washington D.C. EMS again

VentMedic

However, I do think it's fair to point out that this was a test to see where the problems were. That was the whole point, surely? Let them do their worst and we'll build from there.

See my previous post. This is not new. They have already been tested over a year ago. They have since made other headline blunders. And, it has been awhile since the David Rosenbaum family made their offer of good faith by not accepting a settlement if the Washington DC department would get its act together.

Their EMTs have also been tested with a 28% fail rate and the others are accused of cheating.

Does anyone know if this department provides the initial EMT(P) training inhouse or at a contracted "mill"?

Some of the mistakes made appear that their initial training sucked so there is little foundation to build from without sending some back to the beginning of EMT class and then all the way through a real Paramedic program.

A lot lacks here including integrity and pride of providing quality patient care. This appears to be a created culture of indifference and not just a few very bad providers.

I would agree with most posters that the DC system is in serious need of demolition and rebuilding. I wouldn't get too upset about the blade comment. These are people who are under testing conditions and are probably a little nervous and just made a little slip of the tongue.

Mr. Werfel cited one test in which a paramedic failed to notice for more than 30 seconds that his patient had gone into cardiac arrest.

The test, unbeknownst to Mr. Werfel, was taken by one of the District's senior emergency medical services administrators.

The department's medical director, Dr. James J. Augustine, who has served in the position since August, reviewed the same test with a Times reporter last month and termed it "perfect," later describing it as a "textbook" response.

A fish always rots from the head.

Paul Werfel is an awesome instructor that runs his class as a college level class, though no credits are given. He expects appropriate behavior and attire in class. The class has about a 50% drop out/kick out rate because he requires the students to maintain a certain average. He pass rate on the state exam (NY does not use NR) is close to 100% and he has been doing it for many, many years.

Paul Werfel is an awesome instructor that runs his class as a college level class, though no credits are given. He expects appropriate behavior and attire in class. The class has about a 50% drop out/kick out rate because he requires the students to maintain a certain average. He pass rate on the state exam (NY does not use NR) is close to 100%

One has to wonder why however, the Story Book paramedic program is one of the few in the region which lacks CAAHEP accreditation.

Although NY still has its head in the sand with the NR, the programs still facilitate NR registration. My NY state practical was all registry, so I ended up with 2 separate designations, from 2 separate credentialling bodies, having taken just 1 practical exam (after passing the written tests of course).

With regard to the DC full paramedics I know there are a few in the I to P bridge course held at the Montgomery County FR Training Academy in Maryland but do not know if it is a contract or not I do not know the details just that I have seen a few in DCFD uniform at the academy. I will look I to it though... I will say this though.... Do t get seriously hurt in DC and if you do... Either drive to the ED or go across to MD or over the river to VA...

I wouldn't get too upset about the blade comment. These are people who are under testing conditions and are probably a little nervous and just made a little slip of the tongue.

Touche.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.