Which States require a 2 year degree for Paramedic in the U.S.?

I had only known of Oregon requiring a 2 year degree for a Paramedic license.

Texas has a license for degreed but it is not required.

I just found out about Kansas but with their use of the title MICT instead of Paramedic, I tend to overlook that state.

Any others?

I don't think so...

Do you think that this will change when they reconfigure and make a national standard for EMS levels?

It's possible they will make all new providers who haven't done the schooling yet to do so. But I assume all others currently certified will be grandfathered and possibly given so long of a window to get up to par.

It's possible they will make all new providers who haven't done the schooling yet to do so. But I assume all others currently certified will be grandfathered and possibly given so long of a window to get up to par.

I hear rumors all the time of Washington (the state, not DC) moving that way.

Come 2012/2013, the majority of programs left will be ones that are ran by colleges, with a 2 year degree option. Not mandatory (unfortunately) but a step in the right direction.

Come 2012/2013, the majority of programs left will be ones that are ran by colleges, with a 2 year degree option. Not mandatory (unfortunately) but a step in the right direction.

I took my paramedic training through a college program. There was the option of a 2 year degree in EMS, or a paramedic certificate. I made the wrong choice.

I had only known of Oregon requiring a 2 year degree for a Paramedic license.

Texas has a license for degreed but it is not required.

I just found out about Kansas but with their use of the title MICT instead of Paramedic, I tend to overlook that state.

Any others?

Not enough of them.

-be safe

try this link. Lists all states and their levels of care/certifications in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_med...s_by_U.S._state

That is a website JPINFV started when there was a discussion about the 50+ different certs. Even that site has become outdated as states change their certs to a different name by adding "one more skill".

EMS magazine also has a difficult time keeping its data base updated quickly enough,

croaker260

That would be interesting especially with their 8 different cert levels. They might have to add a couple more for those that don't want to be a paramedic but just like one in "skills".

Edited by VentMedic

I wasn't aware that the national standard for EMS levels was going to be reconfigued. Anyone out there know where I can find more information on this topic?

Several places as this has been an ongoing process. This site, NREMT.org,JEMS, among several others have articles and discussions about the national SOP transition.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.