EMT starts association in Indiana

Dustdevil

My apologies. Touche Mike, and thanks Mr. Davis for some thoughts to chew on... I'm way to short on sleep to be having a conversation such as this. Consider this deleted, as I don't want or need to be apart of a personal attack either way. I do respect your experience Mr. Davis, so don't mistake me.

Edited by rpm911

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanna sit there and tell me I'm some young buck and I don't know shit, we can have that conversation... but frankly I'm done with you.

Not a very diplomatic statement. If you really want to see your organization succeed I strongly suggest you work on your diplomacy skills.

And don't tell people "I'm done with you". In your position, you never know when you might need that very person you just told off. Some thicker skin may do you some good, too. If you'd taken the time to read through the site and learn a little about the people with whom you're dealing (not a bad thing to do with your organization, too), then the context of it all may have been a little more clear to you.

But seriously, what did you expect? Did you expect people to fawn all over you and your ambitions to create this organization? Did you not expect criticism? Dust raises many valid points. It seems you failed to consider any of them. And this failure to consider any of them only reinforces the idea that you'll be done with two years.

So, work on those diplomacy skills and growing some thicker skin. You'll see better success there than you will by maligning a much respected member of this community.

-be safe

I am glad someone is trying to make a difference. I see the points on both sides. Yes many people have tried and failed to bring unity. But we are not going to bring unity with disagreeing all the time. I am a member of NAEMT, and advocates for EMS. These associations I found to be the most reputable and largest groups. By contributing to these groups, staying up to date with current affairs, and becoming active when possible, I contribute to changing EMS for the better. If everyone with an interest in protecting the EMS profession and making it a more recognized profession joined we WOULD have a more unified group. As long as the Indiana association works parallel with NAEMT and suggests that their members join NAEMT, I don't see how this would fail. I had to get my bachelor's degree to learn about NAEMT and the importance of advocacy, so the word needs to be spread more. RPM has the right idea of advertising this advocacy. But remember RPM, we want to be portrayed as professionals. I did not get to see the post you deleted, but I saw a part in reply and it's not the image I want to be displayed on any website. Oh, and while I'm on the topic. I saw someone with the caption "I'm here to save your ass, not kiss it", you could not be any more wrong! Our job is to provide patient CARE which includes comfort, professionally. Your comment is not only trashy, but contributes the reason why we struggle to make our now, "job" a profession or even a trade.

Paul Galon, B.S, CCEMT-P, NREMT-P

Did you seriously just post your phone number? Seriously?

For the record, when your phone starts ringing non-stop at 3AM it's not me. I have better things to do with my time.

-be safe

I'm sure one of our counterparts in Iraq, Australia, New Zealand, etc. can call for information.

I am glad someone is trying to make a difference. I see the points on both sides. Yes many people have tried and failed to bring unity. But...

Quality first post, Paul.

Welcome aboard.

DustDevil:

You won't need to distribute my phone number to Dr. Bledsoe, as he already has me on speed dial.

Te He .... YES it is true ! B)

4cmk6

I'm sure one of our counterparts in Iraq, Australia, New Zealand, etc. can call for information.

Ahem 4cmk6 ..... and Canukistan too svp, but perhaps maybe contact us for some advice and direction prior to set up ?

I would enjoy reviewing bylaws of this proposed "association" prior to vote to acceptance by your membership no point reinventing the wheel and as a side bar the NSW association/union, that is in OZ are in my opinion one of the most "influential" and positive groups representing Paramedic Officers world wide.

Oddly enough we in Alberta Canada have a regulatory body (it started out as an advocacy for EMS providers and an association in 1983) but then was strong armed by the government and we are left with yet just another layer of bureaucracy ... heavy on the cracy part and we now face more attempts at developing yet more associations/unions to deal with all the real issues that affect the EMS workers and actually promote Paramedicine in our frozzen arse nation.

cheers and good luck with that.

If we want to talk tough and get recognition we have to organize, not unionize.

What?

EMS personnel need the protection because for profit companies along with municipalities that believe they can do what they want, lousy equipment, poor working conditions, crappy health benefits, a joke of a retirement program, salary decreases, pay freezes.....Do I need to continue. There are downsides to every union or organization. Ill take a union job any day and secure my familys future.

Ever hear the story of the twenty year paramedic laid off in lieu of the two year paramedic making ten dollars less an hour? You give twenty years to a company and they walk away from you because you make to much, your too old or they dont agree with your views cultural or religious.

You organize, Ill unionize and will meet in twenty years and see who's employees are better off.

Fail, RatPack.

You're talking about your personal benefits. We're talking about the future of the profession.

Two completely different issues.

I admit to having some questions on some of the wording, so far presented in this string, which I hope does not appear to be any type of personal attack.

When I hear of new unions, they are always saying "Organize! Unionize!" Anyone want to yield the point that there are similarities, as well as differences, in those two words being used together?

I urge caution in the usage of the phrase "I'm done with you".

Due to my low level involvement in local politics (I'm in a political club, and am a petition carrier, do sound truck operations, and I'm the dude who picks up material from the printers and gets it to the crews that hand it out, and the pizza for that crew) outside of both employment and union activities, I am painfully aware that the guy (or gal) running against you today, might be the needed "Best Friend" on an issue of mutual interest tomorrow, and worst enemy the next day. At least, in local politics, I know who my "frenemies" are.

Richard B, the EMT.

Member, Fire Department of New York EMS Command;

Member, Local 2507 (Uniformed EMTs, Paramedics and Fire Inspectors of the FDNY) District Council 27, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees;

Member, New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, district 4;

Board Member At Large, Good Government Regular Democratic Club of the Rockaways (Queens County, NY).

Views expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of the agencies mentioned, above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.