What's your rule out ( real call )

NYCEMS

I would have gone down the same path as Mobey, ascertain vitals, check for response potentially to narcan,

I am still a little unsure when to, and when not to give Narcan (1st year student). It is obvious if there is little resp effort it must be done, but when they are ventilating well...... I dunno.

We just had a Methodone OD in our hospital (resp status normal), they gave 1.0mg of Narcan and the patient awoke briefly, became combative, vomited excessivly, aspirated, and went back UnCx.

The patient was admitted to the ICU for OD, then required further admission and Tx for aspiration pneumonitis. I am a little sheepish after that experience.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still a little unsure when to, and when not to give Narcan (1st year student). It is obvious if there is little resp effort it must be done, but when they are ventilating well...... I dunno.

We just had a Methodone OD in our hospital (resp status normal), they gave 1.0mg of Narcan and the patient awoke briefly, became combative, vomited excessivly, aspirated, and went back UnCx.

The patient was admitted to the ICU for OD, then required further admission and Tx for aspiration pneumonitis. I am a little sheepish after that experience.

In the calls i've been on with medics I've noticed that they usually only give narcan if the pt's resiratory rate is too low,and then start out in low doses to prevent the od pt from waking up violent due to losing there high. Also when too much is given stand back the projectil vomiting is coming.

I put the narcan out there mainly with the pupils and also the rr was writen as 16, nothing on depth, regularity or actual effort to breathe, always handy to have up the back pocket.