Medic working on expired license.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, okay, Dudley Do-Right, I get it: you want to do “the right thing". However, I think you already know the solution to your dilemma. If you weren’t going to report it, there would be no post about it. But after making this much noise about it, you've pretty much cornered yourself with only one choice to make—don’t you think? Now...guess which?

Edited by emsboy_2000

Report it....Its every individuals responsibility to maintain their own cert. If the guy is not responsible about keeping his cert up, what else is he not being responsible about ? Besides most states will allow credit for online CE's, as well as count card classes for CE credit. So he has no excuses other than not doing it. Hell soon ACLS will be online with no need to take a formal class. (sad but true).

That should make you feel better about yourself.

Here's another thought. Suppose this former medic does something that lands him in court. Maybe it's something he did while you were there. Now suppose you get a subpeona. You have to testify that you knew he was unlicensed. Now there is another can of worms for ya.

Less problem if reported it than tried to hide it by failing to report it.

MDCH (Michigan Department of Community Health) answers the following question:

What happens if my license expires?

If your license is not renewed on or before the expiration date, you have a 60 day grace period after the expiration date to renew with paying an additional $50.00 late fee for a total of $75.00. If it is not renewed within those 60 days, your license will lapse.

If your license expires, you cannot practice your profession, nor will you be able to identify yourself as being a licensed EMS professional. Working without a valid license is considered a felony under Michigan Law and will result in legal proceedings.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-...00.html#Expires

Contact MDCH:

General Information

Telephone: 517-373-3740

Mailing Address:

Capitol View Building

201 Townsend Street

Lansing, Michigan 48913

Personally, since you have nothing to do with this company, I don't see any ramifications for notifying MDCH.

Based on what Lone Star posted, I don't completely disagree with the company's position that this medic should have been able to work within that 60 day grace period. The license doesn't "lapse" until after the grace period.

My personal opinion here is that you kinda jumped the gun a little bit on this one. It wasn't really your concern, and there is a chance you were wrong anyways. It isn't your responsibility to police the certifications and licenses of everyone you work with, and without knowing all of the details it seems a bit over the top that you would go as far as to resign to make your point about it. Turning in an official complaint to the state at this point seems to me like sour grapes.

Edited by fiznat

Turning in an official complaint to the state at this point seems to me like sour grapes.

In my opinion ignore fiznat... if would be considered a crime that you withheld this information. you have no excuse now not to inform the state since Lone Star did the leg work for you and go the contact information for you... Write up a document stating your concern and the paramedics name and the company, what they told you regarding them knowing about his expired card, and what they told you about staying quiet or leaving and file it as a formal complaint to the state. the company should loose their license as well for knowingly breaking the law and the medic, as lone start stated, should be brought up on felony charges. this is very serious my friend, and needs to be treated accordingly.

Please do the right thing... you should be able to file the complaint annonymously as well. Please please please file the report today!

Based on what Lone Star posted, I don't completely disagree with the company's position that this medic should have been able to work within that 60 day grace period. The license doesn't "lapse" until after the grace period.

My personal opinion here is that you kinda jumped the gun a little bit on this one. It wasn't really your concern, and there is a chance you were wrong anyways. It isn't your responsibility to police the certifications and licenses of everyone you work with, and without knowing all of the details it seems a bit over the top that you would go as far as to resign to make your point about it. Turning in an official complaint to the state at this point seems to me like sour grapes.

I think you hit the nail on this one. I agree.

I think Fiznat misinterpreted Lone Stars post. The License lapses after a grace period, which means it is ineligible for renewal. The second paragraph pretty clearly states that continuing to work with an expired credential is a felony under Michigan law.

f your license is not renewed on or before the expiration date, you have a 60 day grace period after the expiration date to renew with paying an additional $50.00 late fee for a total of $75.00. If it is not renewed within those 60 days, your license will lapse.

If your license expires, you cannot practice your profession, nor will you be able to identify yourself as being a licensed EMS professional. Working without a valid license is considered a felony under Michigan Law and will result in legal proceedings.

Secondly I've got to take exception to Fiznat's personal opinion that having knowledge of a company condoning the continued practice by individuals with expired credentials. It seems like a recurring theme on this (and many other) forums is the lack of respect that EMS is given by other health care professionals. Could it be that one of the reasons is that we refuse to police ourselves? What do you suppose is the ANA's view of unlicensed nurses working, or that of the AMA on unlicensed physicians? I have no illusions that this one issue will be the golden key to respect from our fellow health care providers, but shouldn't this be a start? "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

To the OP, make the call.

I think Fiznat misinterpreted Lone Stars post. The License lapses after a grace period, which means it is ineligible for renewal. The second paragraph pretty clearly states that continuing to work with an expired credential is a felony under Michigan law.

But was that medic working under the grace period or working under a truly expired license?

I think that this is the gray area we are looking at right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.