How do you triage these patients?

triage the following patients  

37 members have voted

1. 1. PT #1 - 20 y/o Male A/Ox 4 HR 120, RR 22, BP 95/P Closed Fx to Left Arm, Open R Lower Leg Fx

• Priority 1 (Red/ Immediate)
    • Priority 2 (Yellow/ Delayed)
    • Priority 3 (Green/ Hold)
    • Priority 4 (Black/ Expected)
  2. 2. PT # 2 - 25 y/o Female A/Ox4 HR 92 RR 20, BP 130/P, 7 Months OB, Minor Lac on right face above the eye, soreness in the left arm

3. 3. PT # 3 - 28 y/o Female Unresponsive HR (weak) 20, RR (labored) 8, BP 20/P, Injuries to the chest and abd, open right femur Fx

I called your last patient black. Given your resources and number of patients, this patient is dead. A heart rate of 20 = CPR. We don't do CPR at MCI's unless it was a lightning strike or something along those lines. There would be no harm in making her red, but I wouldn't commit a lot of time to her.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT # 3 - 28 y/o Female Unresponsive HR (weak) 20, RR (labored) 8, BP 20/P, Injuries to the chest and abd, open right femur Fx

Red 25 (71%), Yellow 0 (0%), Green 0 (0%), Black 0 (0%)

Based on START Triage this Patient is a Red (The patient is still breathing and does still have a pulse, while it is weak and his outlook is not good there is no reason to place this patient as expected yet given your resources)

Thanks to everybody who responded and helped out

According to just the poll online here you had 3 responses stating they would triage patient 3 as a Black but your reported data states 0%... what is the criteria for which votes you are counting and which ones you are not??? Also, all the other numbers add up to 35 votes except for patient 3. A mistake perhaps?...Because it looks to me like you are "doctoring" the data which is a big NO-NO! Just curious :)

PT # 3 - 28 y/o Female Unresponsive HR (weak) 20, RR (labored) 8, BP 20/P, Injuries to the chest and abd, open right femur Fx

Priority 1 (Red/ Immediate) [ 19 ] ** [82.61%]

Priority 2 (Yellow/ Delayed) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]

Priority 3 (Green/ Hold) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]

Priority 4 (Black/ Expected) [ 3 ] ** [13.04%]

Edited by scubamedic

According to just the poll online here you had 3 responses stating they would triage patient 3 as a Black but your reported data states 0%... what is the criteria for which votes you are counting and which ones you are not??? Also, all the other numbers add up to 35 votes except for patient 3. A mistake perhaps?...Because it looks to me like you are "doctoring" the data which is a big NO-NO! Just curious :)

5 am Typo...sorry

Here is the corrected data from my report for class (not counting additional post after I did the report for class)

Data Source: 14 Online Responses 21 Local Responses 35 Total Responses of a Mix of EMTs and Paramedics

PT #1 - 20 y/o Male A/Ox 4 HR 120, RR 22, BP 95/P Closed Fx to Left Arm, Open R Lower Leg Fx

Red 10 (29%), Yellow 22 (63%), Green 3 (9%), Black 0 (0%)

Based on START Triage this Patient is a Yellow

PT # 2 - 25 y/o Female A/Ox4 HR 92 RR 20, BP 130/P, 7 Months OB, Minor Lac on right face above the eye, soreness in the left arm

Red 1 (3%), Yellow 8 (23%), Green 26 (74%), Black 0 (0%)

Based on START Triage this Patient is a Green (OB is not an Emergency in it's self and does not change triage)

Red 25 (71%), Yellow 0 (0%), Green 1 (3%), Black 9 (26%)

Based on START Triage this Patient is a Red (The patient is still breathing and does still have a pulse, while it is weak and his outlook is not good there is no reason to place this patient as expected yet given your resources)

Edited by RomeViking09

I called your last patient black. Given your resources and number of patients, this patient is dead.

I think most of us are operating on the theory that the green patient doesn't need anybody at the moment, and in my personal opinion the yellow can wait for the next crew, allowing us to make an attempt on the last patient.