Would a POV Whackermobile have helped?

Michael

Doubt it. Something happened here in PA, line of vehicles going to an MVA, whacker lights going. A cop comes up behind them, they assume the cop is going to the same call. No siren, just lights. What does the cop do? Pits one of them. Even with a whacker light, no need to break the law. The cops do it all the time, with or with out anything to speed to. But that doesn't mean it's safe. I like to say, the few extra minutes it takes to get there safely, won't make that much difference.

Good point. There is no emergency so severe that I can not arrive safely to. Speeding and aggressive driving not only put yourself in danger, but other motorists on the road. Not to mention the person you are trying to go help. You are no help to anyone laying in a ditch or smashed up into a telephone pole. Now you have more victims who need help.

Was the cop in the wrong? Maybe, maybe not. As Mike said, we don't know what fully happened. It is protocol (I think) for a cop to draw his weapon on anyone who leads them in a police chase. Running from the cops, for whatever reason, gives the police reason to believe they are running for a reason. The cop did not know why he was speeding or not stopping. The cop was just following the law and protecting himself.

UMC is a Level 1 trauma center, Pedi trauma center, Level 3 NICU and a high risk OB facility.

Not having the proper staff available inhouse is a violation of their accreditation for whatever specialty.

Thanks, I did not know that.

Now, there was no reason for this Dr to be speeding to the hospital. There were people in hospital who could have managed the situation until he arrived in a timely, and SAFE manner.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to sit back now, based on one side of the story, and bash the cop for being wrong. But until the investigation is complete we can't say anything for sure.

It will be interesting to see if the officer had a camera in his cruiser and had it recording...

-be safe

Now that would be nice to see that video. Might make this a little more real.

Here blue lights can get you arrested. We had a guy that had one he was dubbed the blue light bandit because he was pulling women over and raping them.

We have had situations like that here too. Anyone can buy a light bar from ebay or something and get themselves a uniform and fake badge.

Running a blue/red light here, and not being a cop on duty, in a police car, is illegal. Undercover cops can only use a red light. Using a red light as a firefighter/emt/medic/nurse/cop/garbage man/whatever, needs to be licensed from the state which needs approval from the chief of operations from whomever you are responding for. Same goes with use of a blue light. None of them can be used, unless there is an emergency, and illegal if used when there is not one. (except for on private property or something for showing off).

If you are a volunteer and have a blue light, they must be taken off or covered up when you cross state lines, such as NY or VA. Since in those states, those colors are reserved for police vehicles.

Yes, there are many different colors of emergency lights, for those who are allowed to claim certain road privileges in emergency situations, and have received the appropriate training. I can't for the life of me remember the color of light used for "Obstetricians", otherwise this moron would have abided by the traffic laws like everyone else who have been given an instruction to pull over.

I assume there was major, major, complications with this birth - otherwise why would he be risking his life, and more importantly, other road users lives? I am sure there were other medical staff (of any status) around to cover while he was on his way in. Not that Doctors are really required at all births anyway.

Perhaps it is the cynic in me, but maybe the "emergency" was more to do with his concern about not getting paid, for a birth he was not present at.

Would be interesting to read more on this.

Edited by scott33

Perhaps it is the cynic in me, but maybe the "emergency" was more to do with his concern about not getting paid, for a birth he was not present at.

Would be interesting to read more on this.

Probably right. The lady was probably "his" patient. She was in labor with complications and he just HAD to be there. Sure, doctors are important, but not above the law for any emergency.. not even lack of paycheck.

Here in New York State, Red forward facing lights are supposed to be reserved for duly authorized emergency vehicles. There are certain and specific laws allowing certain individuals who are members of a VFD or VAS to also have Red forward facing lights on their personal vehicles.

Blue forward facing emergency lights are reserved for volunteer firefighters responding to either the "house" to pick up the emergency vehicles, or directly to the scene of the incident. Depending on the relationship with the local LEOs, no speeding, passing stop signs or red traffic signals (if the LEOs look the other way, one may try). Blue is also supposed to be for "on the grounds" security officers. Some LEO agencies also have Blue forward facing lights, but are usually in combination with Red forward facing lights.

Green forward facing emergency lights are reserved for volunteer EMS personnel responding to either the "house" to pick up the emergency vehicles, or directly to the scene of the incident. As with the VFDs, depending on the relationship with the local LEOs, no speeding, passing stop signs or red traffic signals.

These VFD and VAS organizations have to issue a member a "Blue Light" or "Green Light" authorization card, for them to display such light from their POV.

Most VFD and VAS organizations have written policies, that if someone displaying the Green or Blue lights gets into a collision, or causes an accident, while the Green or Red lights are illuminated, the individual is "AMF-YOYO" (Adios my friend, you're on your own*), as department insurance won't cover them.

Yellow/Amber forward facing emergency lights are for "Hazard Vehicles", like construction equipment, or tow trucks. Generally, these colored lights are to advise overtaking or oncoming drivers that there is some kind of condition that could be a problem, and could be slowing down the traffic near the vehicle displaying the yellow/amber lights.

Some construction workers have these on their personal vehicles, if they park them on the shoulder of a roadway they are fixing. Many motorists, including myself, carry them, in case of a vehicle breakdown, to signal oncoming and overtaking motorists that

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear...

(*Cleaned up for the family audience.)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.