Calgary EMS administers Morphine to dying Police dog

mobey

Problem of unique preportions. Whether you think it right or wrong, the Medics identified, adapted, and overcome the situation. I believe they did the best for all. If the admins want discipline the Medics, slap their hands and then leave it alone. My opinion is that both parties were served with the upmost care. Good Job.

While I am aware that "Police Dogs" and "Police Horses" are technically LEOs, and "Service animals" (read: guide dogs for the visually impaired, hearing impaired assistants, others) are to be transported with their owner/handlers (NYS DoH ruling, number on research via Google-help yourself!), my priorities will always be human first, and if could be considered a kind of psych first aid for the human, animal second.

While writing this, I am kind of having a flashback to 1965, when I saw my dog actually being hit by a car (She was seen and treated in an animal hospital, survived, and lived until age 14 in human years), so I can kind of commiserate.

Not mentioned in the string was, did either of the paramedics contact the DVM via the OLMC, or did one of them have the number of their own pet's DVM on their cellphone?

While I don't know if it would help any, if a letter of commendation from the LEO agency the man and dog worked for might ease any problems the Paramedics might face, as how can you punish someone in the agency, who is being congratulated for doing whatever the deed by another agency (IMHO)?

A mention: Years ago, my VAC was called for an injury call, no further information. On arrival, found the patient was a dog. No policy on how to handle. The agency's chief was at the base, responded in his POV, and transported the dog in the POV to an animal hospital, where another member of the VAC was employed, and took over care. Dog owner was grateful, but story never covered in local press. FYI, I was driving the ambulance that tour.

Hats off to them Eh!!!!

I would want to do the same thing but I know it would mean NO MORE PARAMEDIC LIC for me in CT.

It would be nice to do something like that if needed but where was the PD..they could have helped one way or another.

• 3 weeks later...

We protest and cry and whine about EMS will never advance any further on certain aspects, yet we knock and beat on the department that many of us should credit in some way, for bringing EMS to life. Specially trained firefighters and rescue squad members, became the first paramedics.

Just to give credit where credt was due, I think you should look at the freedom House Project as most likely the first modern paramedics, not the fire service. And, BTW, the freedom house project was disbanded only after the fire department took over.

Just had to show the flag.....

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.