Did the officer over react?

itku2er

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious - last night the reports were that the traffic stop was initiated 2 to 3 miles away from the hospital and that the driver failed to pull over for the officer. I'm not longer seeing that on any of the stories today, so either the initial information was incorrect or the media is now leaving that information out of their stories. I can understand the initial behavior of the officer with trying to gain control of the situation, but after it was clarified that there was in fact an emergency in the hospital, his attitude and compassion should have changed to helping the family out in any way that he could. The harsh comments and threats during the rest of the incident were uncalled for and inappropriate and the actions of his superiors with the suspension seem appropriate at this time.

ncmedic309 pretty much nailed this one. That's what happened, and that's about how it's going to go down. However, since a racial component is being injected into the scenario, the officer will be fired. He will get his job back after arbitration, but he will initially be fired. The Dallas police chief doesn't even stand behind officers when they are right. There's not the slightest chance he will stand behind one who was wrong.

I would have kept going, too. Sorry, but I'm not letting someone I love die without me for anyone, cop or not.

My biggest issue with the way this was handled was that the officer was informed nine minutes into the video that Moats did, infact, have a family member in the hospital and that she was dying. Not in serious condition, not unstable, dying. Coding at that moment. And that he was needed right then. That officer would have had to shoot me to keep me out of the hospital at that point. Then, 4 minutes later, the officer was told by a nurse from the hospital standing in front of him that she had coded three times! And it was nearly two minutes more when Moats was finally allowed to go inside after the nurse had to explain the situation multiple times to the officer. Six minutes is an eternity when you know someone you love is in serious condition. I can't imagine what it must be like when you know that they are actually dying and you have this guy in your face about running a red light. At least Moats had the mind to stop and look before proceeding. A lot of people wouldn't have even done that. That and then the vehicle pulling into a hospital parking lot should have tipped him off that these were good, law abiding people that had the safety of others on the road in mind but also had an emergency to attend to. This is just ridiculous. They're right that Moats and his family showed incredible restraint. I would have been shot in the back walking into the hospital or subdued and arrested, because you would not have kept me out of there otherwise.

Yep, the officer really did act inappropriately. Not to say he didn't feel threatened or anxious; however, his actions were not what I would consider appropriate. I agree with Dust on this, he will loose his job.

Take care,

chbare.

There is both an up-side and a down-side to this current controversy. The up-side is that officers will be reminded to watch their egos and use good judgement and mature common sense when dealing with the public. The down-side is that the public is being taught by an overwhelming onslaught of media attention how to get away from the cops. Every cop has been lied to multiple times by people making such excuses for being in a hurry, so it is natural that you don't take everyone at their word. But after about that first minute, you should be able to arrive at an intelligent conclusion on it's veracity.

As for the Shelby County, Tennessee situation, this deputy will be okay because he followed policy by calling an ambulance. That is the written policy in just about any law enforcement agency. However, since this guy was not speeding or driving recklessly in the first place, it becomes a bit of a different situation from that of an officer stopping the driver for reasons of safety. Especially with the current feeding frenzy on this issue, that deputy can expect to enjoy a day of suspension for poor judgement.

I would have kept going, too. Sorry, but I'm not letting someone I love die without me for anyone, cop or not.

My biggest issue with the way this was handled was that the officer was informed nine minutes into the video that Moats did, infact, have a family member in the hospital and that she was dying. Not in serious condition, not unstable, dying. Coding at that moment. And that he was needed right then. That officer would have had to shoot me to keep me out of the hospital at that point. Then, 4 minutes later, the officer was told by a nurse from the hospital standing in front of him that she had coded three times! And it was nearly two minutes more when Moats was finally allowed to go inside after the nurse had to explain the situation multiple times to the officer. Six minutes is an eternity when you know someone you love is in serious condition. I can't imagine what it must be like when you know that they are actually dying and you have this guy in your face about running a red light. At least Moats had the mind to stop and look before proceeding. A lot of people wouldn't have even done that. That and then the vehicle pulling into a hospital parking lot should have tipped him off that these were good, law abiding people that had the safety of others on the road in mind but also had an emergency to attend to. This is just ridiculous. They're right that Moats and his family showed incredible restraint. I would have been shot in the back walking into the hospital or subdued and arrested, because you would not have kept me out of there otherwise.

and you would have missed your loved one dying anyway, sort of a lose lose situation huh?