EMT-B - What can you do?

Clarpet

Right now I'm in the process of working toward my EMT Paramedic certification but want to know what general employment opportunities I have as an EMT B.

So far, the only things I've heard of are basically driving an ambulance. But I'm curious if the ER or anything related is an option or if I need to attain a higher level of certification before I'm employable as more than a glorified taxi driver.

Any comments are welcome! Thanks.

Yeah, there are ER jobs out there for EMT's and they do pay a fair share better than your $8.50 an hour transport services. The problem is that since they pay better everyone s gunning for them and all you will do n the ER is take vital signs and ferry patients to and fro different locations and areas. I see EMT's work in the triage area of hospitals alot.

I see EMT's work in the triage area of hospitals alot.

ER Technicians can take vitals in the triage area also before the triage RN sees the patient.

In most EDs you are not working under your EMT-B cert which can be extremely limiting. Under the hospital title, you may be able to do 12 lead ECGs, IVs, phlebotomy and basic ortho skills. Some places may require you to have a Phlebotomy cert which is about 140 hours of training in some states and take a national exam. I have seen many EMT-Bs limit themselves by not accepting some hospital jobs because they were going only by the scope of practice of their EMT-B which may not even be recognized within the walls of a hospital. In several states, EMS wanted to be very different from other medical professions and wrote their statutes as "prehospital only" thus limiting the opportunities of their own providers.

If you are interested in working in a hospital, find out what an "ER Technician" does and not an EMT-B. Then find out if they will train you or if you need to get the phlebotomy cert on your own. Doing 12-lead ECGs correctly can be taught in under 15 minutes by a good teacher.

All the EMT-B does is help you get your foot in the door as proof you may know a few skills. Some hospitals prefer CNAs, PCTs or Medical Assistants for ER Technicians since they are familiar with the hospital culture and are more varied in the skills required for long term care which is also essential in an ED. They are also team players with the experience of dealing with many different health care professionals.

So, if you apply to an ED: be a team player, have an open mind and be ready to learn whatever they want to teach you.

Edited by VentMedic

Several of the hospitals in my area will hire EMT-B's and train them for phlebotomy and 12-lead ECG. We also have private ambulance companies(rescue is all voluntary for basics) will also hire EMT-B's generally starting between $10 and $11/hour. An interesting job opportunity I found was the local blood/plasma bank(not Red Cross affiliated though). They start at $9 and preform potential donor screening physicals before the RN's or MD's see the donor. Still not using many of your skills, but you are able to at least do more than drive. In addition, some of the neighboring cities here do in fact pay their basics and their basics will use all of their skills. This is because the paramedics drive zone cars and often arrive on scene after the ambulance which is usually crewed by either two basics or a basic and an intermediate. In my city, even though the basics are not paid they do a lot more than just driving. We only have 32 paid medics and one paid intermediate. But 700+ volunteers so, as you can see, our ambulances are very frequently crewed by two basics or a basic and either an enhanced or an intermediate. It's actually easier here to get a paid job as a basic or an intermediate because the city doesn't have many, if any, openings and the hospitals don't want to pay a paramedic the big bucks when they can hire a basic or intermediate for less and train them to do the same thing a paramedic would in the ER. That being said, wards will sometimes hire a paramedic because of their higher skill set, but those are also few and far between. Definitely look into it and see what is available locally. Don't be afraid to call around and see what you find. Some assisted living facilities will also hire basics. The best people to talk to may be your instructors/proctors. They will be more familiar with your specific area.

Also, keep in mind that working in an ER could give you a bit of an edge on your skills for paramedic. If you get phlebotomy and 12-lead certs then, will they won't apply in you classes, you will have an edge. You may even find that a lot of techs and even nurses are very eager to teach and share their knowledge. So they may be willing to show you other things in your down time(if you get any) that will be helpful towards your medic training. Just be sure that anyone you shadow actually knows what they are talking about. I encountered a nurse that really just didn't seem to know what was going on but was very eager to share her lack of knowledge.

Edited by Jeepluv77

Right now I'm in the process of working toward my EMT Paramedic certification but want to know what general employment opportunities I have as an EMT B.

Good answers so far. However, knowing where you are would significantly help us to address your question more specifically. The answer is going to be highly variable by location. What you can get here where I live may be very different from what you can get where you live.

In MT I see jobs for EMT-B's now and then some private ambu's Commercial operations hire to for plant safety and the State Fire agencies hire B's for wildland season on the bigger fires which is a cake job most of your clientele are 18-40 with no med history so most everything is straight forward.

its mostly seasonal but if you get on the teams its a sweet gig and you get to see lots of country.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So far, the only things I've heard of are basically driving an ambulance. But I'm curious if the ER or anything related is an option or if I need to attain a higher level of certification before I'm employable as more than a glorified taxi driver.

Any comments are welcome! Thanks.

Hey, seriously...congrads on your training as a medic....I know it's not easy, I've been there. Regarding EMT-B...if you join an outfit like AMR, you not only get to drive an ambulance but actually get the opportunity to access and TREAT sick people. Sure, they do their share of medicare/medicaid patient/doctor/hospital runs, but they also do real street EMS. Not all private ambulance services are created egual....good luck. You'll be fine.

• Like 1

Don't discount working a hospital floor either. I did that for 9 months in ABQ before I moved. Made better money than any basic in the area too. And I learned a hell of a lot. If you're willing to learn and are motivated they might be willing to float you to other floors to help out too. I think that last 4 months I was there I worked 1 of my 3 nights a week on the Oncology unit (my 'home' floor), 1 night in the ED, and 1 night in the Neuro IMC

Hey, seriously...congrads on your training as a medic....I know it's not easy, I've been there. Regarding EMT-B...if you join an outfit like AMR, you not only get to drive an ambulance but actually get the opportunity to access and TREAT sick people. Sure, they do their share of medicare/medicaid patient/doctor/hospital runs, but they also do real street EMS. Not all private ambulance services are created egual....good luck. You'll be fine.

No they are not created equal, hence why AMR is sometimes known as the 'Evil Empire' :P Not that I would really know, AMR didn't really operate much in the parts of NM that I'm from, but they operate a lot up here in the Denver area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.