new to the forum, finished emt-b class's

I'm a vol. student who just finished his EMT-B class final tonight, and I'm ready to schedule my EMT exam asap. hopefully all goes well, I dont test well, never have. Get me in a squad and i know what I'm doing, get me in a test situation and I have trouble. lol

Any advise from those who have taken the computerized test?

I was told that the nr test tests you on your cognitive skills (such as decision making skills) rather than test questions. Its more like common sense stuff really. I took it a year ago and I believe what my instructor said was correct. I would say if you pass the final in your class and the practical exam you are basically in the clear

I suggest once you become certified you volunteer at an agency to stay sharp

Geeze... are you going to start this nonsense again? Quit misleading n00bs when you have no qualifications to do so!

I'm a vol. student who just finished his EMT-B class final tonight, and I'm ready to schedule my EMT exam asap. hopefully all goes well, I dont test well, never have. Get me in a squad and i know what I'm doing, get me in a test situation and I have trouble. lol

Do you really get to practice your full EMT skills and assessments when riding the squad? I'm a huge supporter of explorers and try to include them in as much as I can when they show up on calls...but usually the medics they're riding with get to practice their assessments and decision making skills, not the explorer, especially if not an EMT yet.... Just saying, how do you know that you know you're doing everything right when riding along on the squad.

I realy hope so. lol all this testing is driving me crazy! lol and to think I'm signed up for my fire class in april too. lol at least I might get a little break from class's between.

Yeah... all this damn testing and book learning just to be able to drive an ambulance or work for the fire department. I can't believe it.

Geeze... are you going to start this nonsense again? Quit misleading n00bs when you have no qualifications to do so!

Wow devil, pretty harsh. How is he misleading? I'm not too familiar with volunteer EMS agencies but I would imagine that you get to use your BLS skills from time to time.

Any advise from those who have taken the computerized test?

Hey there....congrats! I just finished the EMT-B class in December and I now have my lisence and am having a hard time finding a job....I am shocked! The computerized National Registry test is very tough. I had to take it twice. I don't test well either and didn't think I passed it the second time around...but somehow I did. Someone gave me some good advice before I re-took it. When you get ready to walk into the testing room you are given a dry-erase board. Sit down and write down things like normal bp's, hr, etc... for adulds, infants and toddlers, also the rule of nine's for burns (I had a bunch of burn questions), and just write down anything you can think of. I found myself very "flustered' many times during the test so I did refer to what I wrote down. Also, do the notebook you should have recieved on the last day of class! Good luck to you! Melissa

Its been many years since I was in school and had to take tests. I can appriciate what you are feeling. If your instructor allowed you to make copies of the weekly tests...study them. Cover the answers and try to answer them with out seeing the multiple choices. Then look and see if your answers matches. Go with your gut, and follow your first instinct. iT IS USUALLY RIGHT.

You will be surprised at what you know. And additionally, you may see questions on your test that are word for word what on the state test.

Despite what DustDevil says, we all had to start somewhere.