Bitter taste after sweet foods?

Michael

Hey detectives, what medical condition(s) is/are possibly indicated by normal food, such as a bagel, tasting bitter?

A friend in another city, a bit over 40, says she overdid sit-ups after being out of shape, and later felt extremely ill - almost enough to go to the ER, but pulled through; friend is very reluctant to impose on anyone (which is how you know this isn't about me! :lol: ).

S/s described as progressively worsening abdominal pain, greatly intensifying after seven hours, "as though someone were grinding his fist through my abdominal wall and into my back," inability to stand up straight, sensation of cold sweeping down from head into arms and chest, followed by inability to stand up at all, profuse diaphoresis, tachy, rapid, shallow respiration, tremor in arms when trying to support torso off floor. Friend is stoic to a fault, and not given to hallucinations.

2 ibuprofen stopped the pain enough for her to sleep, followed the next day by transient flu symptoms. But bitter taste/aftertaste to sweet food persists.

I know, I know,"See your doctor," but she feels otherwise okay; it was I who vaguely recalled the bitter-taste syndrome and wonder whether there's something more than just weirdness to the scenario.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem for awhile. Turned out that a tooth that I'd had a root canal done on was abcessed but since the nerve had been removed I didn't feel the pain. I had felt some pressure in my jaw, but since I was also having some allergy issues if figured it was a swollen lymph node. They said the sugar provided immediately available food(not just sweets, but anything with sugar, though sweets were most noticable for it) for the bacteria and it caused a chemical release from it. I had to have it drained and the root canal redone(or rather revised would be more appropriate). The dentist said this can happen even with a small abcess in a tooth that hasn't been root canaled and that's not yet producing any symptoms. It might be worth looking into.

I feel like this after a good work out. After running a few miles, or on the bike. Sometimes after taking a hot shower. As others have said, it could be many possible things.

Most likely in her case, she is just out of shape and needs to take it a bit easier in her exercising. When we exercise, exerting energy, burning up calories, body demanding more oxygen, etc etc, the body needs to adjust. If you are out of shape, the body has to work harder to do so. Proper diet will also help by giving the body the right nutrients and what not.

also, not sure what this all has to do with a bitter taste after sweet foods.. unless I missed something :P

Edited by FireEMT177959