Greatful Patient Leaves Gift - What do you do?

spenac

I don't do this job for the patient to give me a gift but if given a gift I'd take it. I'd talk to the nurse manager and let her decide but to refuse a gift from a patient strikes me as a slap in the face to a grateful patient.

Sorry if others disagree but I don't have an issue with accepting a gift from a patient. I have in the past been given 2 different gifts from patients I've taken care of.

The first was a 4 ticket/parking pass to a Kansas City Royals game which I brought to my boss and she said "Can I come" and she indeed did.

The second was a gift certificate to Golden Corral restaurant which I shared with my partner.

Both times I went to my boss and both times she said "Have a good time"

I don't see the issue. If you don't go around asking for a tip or a gift then I don't see a big deal in getting a gift.

Now if the gift is a grand in cash or a new car or something then that's a different story but if it's gifts of the above nature, Who really gives a hair. I think that by refusing a gift from a grateful patient or family member is in poor taste.

I know that some people here think that all gifts are taboo but in the overall scheme of things is this really going to change the world. I think we have bigger things to worry about than a patient giving us a gift. We have a thankless enough job, it's nice to be recognized.

Now if you begin to do your duties with the end result that you might get a gift from the patient or family then that is when I have an issue with it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said, in suggestion,

"I cannot accept your gift, but if you could write my bosses and comment how good your treatment and care was at my and my partner's hands, that would be appreciated. 'Attaboy/Attagirl' letters in our files are always a good thing."

Lone Star also suggested,

IF you INSIST on doing 'something' to show your gratitude for my services, then write a letter addressed to the Chief of Operations (or Operations Manager), and then it can be placed in my personnel file.

So, obviously, great minds think alike. We just worded them differently, but to the same effect.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I don't do this job for the patient to give me a gift but if given a gift I'd take it. I'd talk to the nurse manager and let her decide but to refuse a gift from a patient strikes me as a slap in the face to a grateful patient.

Sorry if others disagree but I don't have an issue with accepting a gift from a patient. I have in the past been given 2 different gifts from patients I've taken care of.

The first was a 4 ticket/parking pass to a Kansas City Royals game which I brought to my boss and she said "Can I come" and she indeed did.

The second was a gift certificate to Golden Corral restaurant which I shared with my partner.

Both times I went to my boss and both times she said "Have a good time"

I don't see the issue. If you don't go around asking for a tip or a gift then I don't see a big deal in getting a gift.

Now if the gift is a grand in cash or a new car or something then that's a different story but if it's gifts of the above nature, Who really gives a hair. I think that by refusing a gift from a grateful patient or family member is in poor taste.

I know that some people here think that all gifts are taboo but in the overall scheme of things is this really going to change the world. I think we have bigger things to worry about than a patient giving us a gift. We have a thankless enough job, it's nice to be recognized.

Now if you begin to do your duties with the end result that you might get a gift from the patient or family then that is when I have an issue with it.

So you suggest common sense. We should have you arrested. Common sense has been outlawed. :lol:

Actually I like your response.

Refuse three times, then accept while being eternally grateful and humble over the experience. I don't do this job for tips nor do I expect tips. That said, I understand that there's a point in time where refusing tips and signs of gratitude are more insulting.

Refuse three times, then accept while being eternally grateful and humble over the experience. I don't do this job for tips nor do I expect tips. That said, I understand that there's a point in time where refusing tips and signs of gratitude are more insulting.

One hundred percent agreed. I would add to also report the gift to your employer, to keep sunlight on the situation and avoid any appearance of impropriety. If the employer has a specific problem with it, then your employer sucks.

Never been offered monitary stuffs, but I have accepted food stuffs, home made cookies and the likes. Thankfully, when they dropped it off, I was usually on a call, so it was outside my control. Good cookies though... :)

I'm not agency affiliated yet, so a lot of it(maybe even all of it) will depend on my agency's policies. That being said, I really think I'd have to look at it on a case by case basis. A teddy bear from the sweet elderly couple would be a great item to place in the crew room to remind everyone of why they are there when the going gets tough. However, a cash amount from a woman/man with a known propensity for faking because they hope it will soften you up to them and further their cause would be a whole different ballpark. No way. Then you have the gray area in between. I feel a lot factors would have to be considered.

As for Dustdevil's statement to report it to your employer and keep it completely above board, absolutely. As my dad always said, c.y.a!

We are not allowed to accept any gratuities.

However, I require at least 20%. :lol:

In all seriousness we graciously decline.

I do like the charity idea.

Its not something we encounter much. The majority of our population operates way below the poverty line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.