DNR Identification

Eileen Brady

Hello to EMT City. My name is Eileen Brady and I need all EMT's to log on to (advertisers can see me on how they can advertise here - admin)

The goal of the DNR Revolution is to obtain one DNR Bracelet for all hospitals, nursing homes and 911 EMS personnel

The website was designed and started to obtain one DNR Bracelet for EMS personnel. The website is a voting survey website.

The EMS survey questions were written by Pasco County Florida Firefighter's. Please spread the word to all 911 personnel across America.

The DNR Revolution has started . Please vote and participate in the Revolution.

Edited by EMT City Administrator
Removed Spam

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you really need to look outside of your area.

Quiz questions:

"Do you agree that most Americans do not know EMS requires a Nonhospital DNR Order?"

Well, when I was working in So Cal patients did not need a prehospital DNR order.

"Have you ever arrived at a private residence and was told the patient was a DNI/DNR, but because the family could not “Find” the Nonhospital DNR Order, you had to start CPR? "

There are places where, either via standing orders or online medical control, that would be a DNR despite the lack of physical paperwork.

There are also established companies that provide a DNR bracelet service, such as the Medic Alert company. Again, in So Cal one of these was recognized as a valid DNR and the prehospital DNR paperwork (note: There is a prehospital DNR form available in California, it's just not required to be used) included instructions on how to receive one. I currently work and go to school in Massachusetts where they include the stupid "We will only recognize our DNR form (Comfort Care/DNR verification form)" rule. That said, there is a paper DNR bracelet that can be printed out and worn for quick identification.

http://www.medicalert.org/Main/AdvanceDirectives.aspx#dnr

Link to Orange County, CA EMS DNR protocol which takes a more liberal approach to DNRs than most areas. http://ochealthinfo.com/docs/medical/ems/P&P/330.51.pdf

Edited by JPINFV

This has been discussed before. But reguardless without a paper copy its not valid. If you do not have a durable DNR order signed by the patient or POA and a MD must sign it or its not legal. What comes to my mind is well the bracelets are cute, what if people get them because they are cute and dont really want to be a DNR.

This has been discussed before. But reguardless without a paper copy its not valid. If you do not have a durable DNR order signed by the patient or POA and a MD must sign it or its not legal. What comes to my mind is well the bracelets are cute, what if people get them because they are cute and dont really want to be a DNR.

It is patently untrue that you must have paperwork present in addition to a bracelet in all locations and/or at all times. It is highly location dependent and anyone who makes a blanket statement in terms of honoring DNRs and advanced directives is most likely to be wrong.

If someone is wearing a DNR bracelet and ends up not being resuscitated, then that is the risk they take for making such a bone headed move.

It is patently untrue that you must have paperwork present in addition to a bracelet in all locations and/or at all times. It is highly location dependent and anyone who makes a blanket statement in terms of honoring DNRs and advanced directives is most likely to be wrong.

If someone is wearing a DNR bracelet and ends up not being resuscitated, then that is the risk they take for making such a bone headed move.

Not at the facality I work for, We can not honor anything accept the written DNR and it has to be signed by all. If not they get coded we dont allow the bracelets at all. If you dont have a paper the orginal not a copy we have to start CPR on you.

Lady: Oh what a pretty bracelet. Oh and look DNR my initials wonder what the odds of that are? boom crash.

Medic: HMMM. DNR on bracelet. Time of death 1603.

:spell:

Not at the facality I work for, We can not honor anything accept the written DNR and it has to be signed by all. If not they get coded we dont allow the bracelets at all. If you dont have a paper the orginal not a copy we have to start CPR on you.

Then you need to clarify that you are talking about your specific facility and not the entire US. It is next to impossible to make any blanket statements about DNRs and advanced directives in terms of prehospital care because of the vast variation from location to location in terms of protocol.

At least the bracelets would signal you to look at the chart.

We have tried little stars on the charts and the patient boards to signal DNR orders but still code someone that shouldn't have been especially in the SNF part where the RN has 32 patients on his/her wing. But, even on the other hospital floors this is an issue. Computers do help if the docs update the record. We even tried the wrist bands but we have a different band for everything from allergies to fall precautions which usually gets noticed after the patient falls.

Consistency of some type would be nice.

Lady: Oh what a pretty bracelet. Oh and look DNR my initials wonder what the odds of that are? boom crash.

Medic: HMMM. DNR on bracelet. Time of death 1603.

:spell:

Guess what I'm getting you for Christmas?

A pretty bracelet.

Edited by VentMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.