• Phillips
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you trust the monitor BP?

• Always
    • If it was close to my initial BP
    • If it seems to match patient presentation
    • Never
    • 2nd & 3rd choice

What are your thoughts on automated blood pressures? What device do you use, and how does it measure up?

I personally take a manual to start and see if the Zoll shows something similar. I will trust it from there. Always treat the patient of coarse, not the monitor. If the monitor shows a sudden change in BP, I then check another manual.

I know there are some people that say the auto cuffs are so inaccurate that they don't use them, but that hasn't been my personal experience. The hospitals use this technology almost exclusively, and I have found that the auto results usually agree fairly closely with my manual readings. Noninvasive BPs are pretty much estimates anyways. I have no problem using an auto cuff as part of a complete assessment.

By the way, there wasn't an option for "I'm not sure which auto cuff is best" for people like me. I've only ever really used one type (the LP12) consistently, so I'm not really in a position to judge it's value over other brands. You have to answer the quiz to get to the second part, though, so I just picked Physio.

I am old school I like to hear it with my own ears too. I have no problem really with the automated ones but I prefer to do it manually initally just for me. Sometimes though an automated one will pick up when the patient isnt doing well and you cant get a manual one. That has happened a few times at the NH we werent able aquire one but the squads woud get one on the automated. There is a place for everthing in world Automated ones have thier place just like everything else. At the NH we arent allowed to use automated ones for everyday use.

I get a manual set of vitals first, then once in the unit I will use the automated if it comes to close to what I think it should be based on what the patient looks like. I have had times where it is different so I take a manual set and it does not even come close. It is a nice tool for when you want another blood pressure and you have a few other things to do. That way you can do several things simultaneously.

Like all technology, i dont think brand matters, as every one of them is built by the same three kids in china (but not the three that build all the DVD players). They have improved alot since the first ones came out, but like everyone else has stated, i always took a manual one first

I'm pleased with the responses on this. Too many people here (at my agency) will just say "I never trust the monitor". Not me, I trust the monitor if it makes sense. I trust the BP if it was close to what I got, why not? We have a lot to get done sometimes, and taking a manual BP every few minutes can be time consuming. Letting the auto-cuff do it while I am doing other things is so much easier. Not to mention, I have never seen a nurse, ER tech, or Physician do a manual blood pressure.

I'm pleased with the responses on this. Too many people here (at my agency) will just say "I never trust the monitor". Not me, I trust the monitor if it makes sense. I trust the BP if it was close to what I got, why not? We have a lot to get done sometimes, and taking a manual BP every few minutes can be time consuming. Letting the auto-cuff do it while I am doing other things is so much easier. Not to mention, I have never seen a nurse, ER tech, or Physician do a manual blood pressure.

If you are quick enough, you can start your IV while the cuff is inflated :)

No really, I am only kidding.

Automated things are there for a reason. To make your job easier. It doesn't mean stop using the skill though. Like others said, I myself will always get manual vitals first, then allow the machine to monitor them for me. If the ride is really bumpy, it can sometimes throw off the monitor. Then again, ever notice how the cuff deflates, but then inflates again? That's the monitor detecting noise or movement and readjusting to get a more accurate reading. The technology really has come a long way.

I was taught a long time ago that a machine is a machine, and machines break. This doesn't mean we shouldn't trust them though. They aren't made my Fisher Price and sold at walmart (although they probably will be soon!).

With routine maintenance, charged batteries and calibration these tools should function just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.