TWO TEENS DOWN

lets run some saline in those IV's 20cc/kg

cold packs on back of necks, armpits and groins.. get them inside the ambulance with the a/c on

Ok, you're doing that. No changes with treatment other than cooler skin temp.

I take it you are thinking heat stroke? Or just ruling that out.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking heat stroke.

Whilst heat stroke is a plausible diagnosis, it does not sit well with me that they are both suffering from it. It's too much of a coincidence.

One of the other possibllities is an (?accidental) overdose of XTC or GHB. Both of these drugs are connected with hyperthermia and, if untreated, DIC (Disseminated intravascular coagulation).

Read all about it here

WM

Check their pockets. Any dope or maybe a rag used for huffing?

Do a quick look on the monitor for both. If both have same or similar dysrhythmia, it's definitely ingestion of something bad.

Any chemicals/fertilizers around the pool or garden?

Check their pockets. Any dope or maybe a rag used for huffing?

Do a quick look on the monitor for both. If both have same or similar dysrhythmia, it's definitely ingestion of something bad.

Any chemicals/fertilizers around the pool or garden?

No chems or fertilizers.

Whilst heat stroke is a plausible diagnosis, it does not sit well with me that they are both suffering from it. It's too much of a coincidence.

One of the other possibllities is an (?accidental) overdose of XTC or GHB. Both of these drugs are connected with hyperthermia and, if untreated, DIC (Disseminated intravascular coagulation).

Read all about it here

WM

On the right track. What would be easily accessible for a teen to OD on. HOT, DRY, DILATED PUPILS

No chems or fertilizers.

On the right track. What would be easily accessible for a teen to OD on. HOT, DRY, DILATED PUPILS

OTC stuff would be easily accessible.

Good guesses. Let's look at the big picture.

They are outside

Flushed, Hot, Dry skin

Tachycardia

Dilated pupils

What kind of reaction are we looking at, I know there are a few that would make sense but one should stand out.

Sounds a lot like anticholinergentic overdose, aside from them not hallucinating due to the unconsciousness. Was the grass cut recently? Any weed whacking? Maybe some plants got chewed up and caused it. (Jimson weed for example)

I will stick with my treatment with o2, monitor. Keep an eye out for vomiting. Try some Narcan just in case. It won't hurt.

Transport and let the Dr figure it out :)